Leave of absence
For various reasons you may need to apply for a leave of absence from your Master's degree programme (1,5/2 years).
If you are a student on an undergraduate programme or Profession oriented degree programme in Psychology at the Faculty of Social Sciences please visit the webpage about leave of absence (only in Norwegian).
Who can apply for a leave of absence?
All students that have earned credits after being admitted to the master's degree programme can apply for a leave of absence. If you apply for a leave of absence on the grounds of long-term illness or because you are giving birth/adopting, there is no requirement of earned credits prior to your application.
If you plan to undertake an exchange through one of the University of Oslo exchange agreements, you do not need to apply for a leave of absence. If, however, you plan to study abroad and do not use a University of Oslo exchange agreement, you must submit an application.
How long can the leave of absence be?
You can apply for a leave of absence for either one or two semesters at the time.
On what grounds can you apply for a leave of absence?
What counts as a valid reason for a leave of absence depends on the study programme you are enrolled in.
Students in all Master's degree programmes at the Faculty of Social Sciences may apply for leave of absence due to:
- Birthgiving/adoption (read more about (parental leave)
- Long-term illness
- Compulsory military- or alternative civil service
- Major caregiving tasks
- Admittance to external education that can be approved in your study programme at University of Oslo, either partially or fully
- Admittance to another study programme at the University of Oslo
- Democratically elected representative
Students in the Master's degree programmes in Psychology / Economics / Technology, innovation and knowledge / ESST - Society, Science and Technology in Europe / Political Science / Peace and Conflict Studies can also apply for a leave of absence on the grounds of:
- Work that requires higher education (for example: Student trainee at a Norwegian diplomatic mission, work in humanitarian and political organizations.)
Leave of absence on no particular grounds
You can also apply for a leave of absence on no particular grounds. This is granted only once over the course of your study programme and for one semester only.
A leave of absence on no particular grounds are not granted for students enrolled in the Master's degree programme in Social Anthropology, due to the structure and prerequisites of the study programme.
Requirements for documentation
If you are applying for a leave of absence on no particular grounds, or because you have been admitted to another study programme at the University of Oslo, you are not required to submit documentation.
All other applications must be documented. Valid forms of documentation might for instance be a doctor's note, birth certificate, due date confirmation, enlisting letter from Armed forces, letter of acceptance from external educational institution.
The documentation must:
- be originals or certified copies.
- confirm that you need to apply for a leave of absence for large parts or the entire application period (semester/year). If you only are ill around dates of examination, an alternative might be to apply for postponement of the exam.
Submission of documentation:
- Upload the documentation in the online form.
- Send the documentation by regular mail to: The Faculty of Social Sciences, Pb. 1084 Blindern, 0317 Oslo.
- Deliver the documentation to SV-info.
Please note that the online form is not encrypted. Documentation containing sensitive information requires delivered or sent by regular mail.
If you upload the documentation online, you must be prepared to show the original documentation.
If you send the documentation by regular mail, please make sure to highlight that the documents concerns an application for leave of absence.
The application is not processed until the required documents are received. Insufficient documentation will delay the processing of your application.
How do you apply?
You need to submit the online form and the documents required.
Application form and all necessary documentation can be sent by regular mail to: The Faculty of Social Sciences, Pb. 1084 Blindern, 0317 Oslo.
You can also drop off the application at the SV Student Affairs, located on the ground floor in the Eilert Sundts building.
- September 1st for the fall semester
- February 1st for the spring semester
Deadlines in the case of long-term illness or when giving birth/adopting
You can apply for a leave of absence with recurring effect in the case of long-term illness or when giving birth/adopting, as long as you apply within:
- February 1st for the previous fall semester
- September 1st for the previous spring semester
If you are granted a leave of absence
- You are not considered an active student in the absence period.
- You do not need to pay the semester- or copy fee, nor to register as a student in StudentWeb during the absence period. If you choose not to do this, your access to the University of Oslo IT-services will be restricted. Read more about IT-services during leave of absence (only in Norwegian).
- If you choose not to pay the semester fee to SiO, this may affect your access to welfare services provided by SiO. Please contact SiO for more information.
- If your program of study is changed over the course of your absence period, you might have to follow a different course of study than the one you were originally admitted to.
- We recommend you contact your student advisor for counseling on the course of your studies after the leave of absence have ended.