Norwegian version of this page

Useful information for PhD candidates

There are many practical tasks to be solved in connection with working on a dissertation. The following is some advice and guidance on what is specific to you as a PhD candidate at ILOS.

Table of Contents


All staff at the University of Oslo should be present in the workplace during working hours, unless professional or other reasons indicate that the work should be carried out elsewhere. In such cases, this should be done with consent from the management of the facility and in accordance with the applicable absence rules.

If you are at home from the office because of illness, you must report sickness absence. Instead of notifying your immediate supervisor, you can send an e-mail to the reception office.

Please enter an automatic reply in your UiO e-mail if you have planned absence, such as longer foreign travel.

A medical certificate from your doctor is necessary if you want to apply for an extended scholarship period on the basis of long-term or frequent sick leave. Please contact the head of administration or ILOS’ personnel consultant if you have any questions.

Appraisal interview

Once a year, PhD candidates are called in for an appraisal interview with the PhD leader. An appraisal interview is a systematic review of all aspects of your work situation. It is an opportunity for you to present your thoughts in respect of the working environment, cooperation with colleagues and the expectations you have to the department and yourself.

Your operating funds at ILOS

Operating funds follow with your position as a PhD candidate. If you were employed on 1.1.2017 or later, these amount to NOK 20,000 per year for three years, totalling NOK 60,000. If you were employed before 1.1.2017, they amount to NOK 25,000 per year for three years, totalling NOK 75,000.

At ILOS, we accept that you transfer unused operating funds to the next budget year, or that you use the next year's funds if you need to. You must keep track yourself of the amount you spend but, if you ask, the financial officer can give you an exact amount during the scholarship period.

The funds are to be used in connection with the dissertation work, and they can be used for a wide range of expenditures - for example (not an exhaustive list) for the purchase of books, special software, participation at conferences, partial funding of research stays, memberships etc.

If you are writing your thesis in a language other than Norwegian, and you want to have it text edited, make sure you  set aside operating funds for this.

Special travel funding

During the scholarship period you can apply for special travel funding to accompany your main supervisor to a conference or a short research trip. This opportunity is given to all PhD candidates who are employed at ILOS. The support can only be granted once. A brief application with a simple budget should be sent to the PhD leader at ILOS.

In addition to special travel funding, you can apply to the Faculty of Humanities or the Norwegian Research Council for travel support in connection with doing research abroad (see link in the menu on the right). Your supervisor must write a letter of support and it is also important that you ask the head of economy, Heidi Ekstrand, to approve of your budget well in advance before submitting the application.

Miscellaneous travel and activities must be covered by your own operating funds.

Travel expense report

Once you have been on a trip that is related to your research work, you must complete a travel claim form in the HR portal for a refund of your expenses for transportation, board and lodging. The expense claim is finally sent to the financial officer for approval in the HR portal.

You must always fill in the name and address of the overnight accommodation, otherwise it will be defined as a bedsit/barracks and board will be taxable. If you have had some meals covered by others during your trip, these should be deducted from your per diem allowance for travel abroad (breakfast 10%, lunch 40%, dinner 50%).

Travel advances are not normally paid. Therefore, in the case of a larger outlay, you should use a credit card. The Department will then endeavour to pay your expenses by the time the invoice arrives from the card company, * but this is on condition that you contact the financial officer in advance *.

Read more about traveling with UiO in the right menu and feel free to contact the financial officer with any questions.

Reimbursement of disbursements

Try to avoid reimbursement. If you need reimbursement of disbursements, you should register the reimbursement in the HR portal. The reimbursement claim is finally sent to the financial officer for approval in the HR portal.

Text editing of dissertation written in a language other than Norwegian

You must use your own operating funds for text editing, and we recommend that you set aside operating funds for this. You can contact the PhD consultant to find out if ILOS can recommend text editors for your language and discipline, but the main responsibility for obtaining a text editor rests with you.

You must obtain quotations from three text editors. Before the text editor can start working, you have to ask the PhD consultant to write an agreement with the text editor in which the fee is determined. N.B.! In addition to the fee, you need to calculate employers’ contributions and holiday pay, totalling approximately 28%. If the text editor is self-employed, you should calculate 25% VAT in addition to the fee. Once the work is completed, ask the text editor to send a claim for payment of the fee to UiO/Attn: PhD consultant. The text editor must state the reference 143400 on the invoice for it to be paid. You must contact the PhD consultant and confirm that the work has been completed before the text editor can receive payment.

ILOS wants the text editors to have native language competence.

Requisition to the University Print Centre when submitting the thesis

When you submit the dissertation, it should be available in 5 copies. ILOS covers these costs and you can ask the PhD consultant for a requisition for these copies to be printed at the University Print Centre.

What happens when the scholarship period is over?

Completion Grant

If you submit your thesis at standard time or with a maximum delay of 6 months, you probably qualify for a completion grant, i.e. an extension of your employment period. Read general information about the scheme here, and information about how the scheme is practiced at ILOS here. If you have received a completion grant, you maintain your regular employee rights.

Not Completion Grant

If your scholarship period ends before you have submitted your dissertation, you must contact the head of administration at ILOS.

We cannot guarantee that you will be able to keep your office or pigeonhole. In each case, management will weigh your needs against the resources that the department has available. Please note that the IT rules at UiO state that all data relating to your username can be deleted 3 months after termination of your employment. However, you can apply to the head of administration to keep your access to UiO’s IT services, cf. USIT’s regulations. Then you will also be able to keep your e-mail address.

Publishing support and other funds

UiO has several arrangements for the funding of publication. Read more on UiO’s website.

You can also apply for funding from Unifor, both as a PhD candidate and as a completion grant candidate.

Published Sep. 24, 2018 12:13 PM - Last modified June 3, 2019 3:14 PM