Introduction to R and RStudio (full)
Introduction to R and RStudio for anyone wishing to get started using R for data analysis and statistics. This course is taught in English.
The course lasts for two half days.
Part 1: Tuesday 24. September 9:15 - 12:00
Part 2: Tuesday 1. October 9:15 - 12:00
A brief introduction to data science and statistics in R and RStudio.
- Become familiar with the different menus and options that you have in R and RStudio
- Learn how data is handled and represented in R
- How to write data directly into R, and how to import different types of data files
- Recode variables and calculate new variables based on raw data
- Present data using graphs
- Descriptive statistics, i.e. describe a data set using measures such as mean, standard deviation, median, skewness, etc., and know what these mean and how they should be interpreted
- Learn how to efficiently document what you do in R/RStudio, both for the sake of reproducibility, but also to make your own work more efficient
Researchers and graduate students who wish to get started with R/RStudio. Basic knowledge of research methods and statistics is an advantage, but not a requirement.
In order to participate in this course, you need to have a valid user account at the University of Oslo (username and password).
Sign up here!
Important: Participants need to have their own laptop with both R and RStudio installed. Both R and RStudio are free. R can be downloaded from https://cran.r-project.org and RStudio from https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/. The course is taught in a regular seminar room, not a computer lab. It is recommended that you bring a power cord for your own device. If you need help installing R and/or RStudio, contact local IT in your department. If you cannot install R and RStudio on your own computer, use UiO Programkiosk.
Anne S. Bergsaker, PhD
Number of participants
If you have any questions about the course, send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to course material