Introduction to SPSS
Introduction to SPSS for anyone wishing to get started using SPSS for data analysis and statistics. This course is taught in English.
The course lasts for two half days.
Day 1: Tuesday 17. September 09:15 - 12:00
Day 2: Thursday 19. September 09:15 - 12:00
A brief introduction to data science and statistics in SPSS.
- Get to know the different menus and options that you have in SPSS
- Setting up a codebook and a data file
- Screening your data and eliminating errors in the data set
- Descriptive statistics, i.e. how to describe a data set using measures such as mean, standard deviation, median, skewness, etc., and know what these mean and how they should be interpreted
- Recoding variables and calculating new variables based on raw data
- Make graphs
Researchers and graduate students who wish to get started with SPSS. Basic knowledge of research methods and statistics is an advantage, but not a requirement.
The course last two half days, 6 hours in total.
In order to participate in this course, you need to have a valid user account at the University of Oslo (username and password). Sign up here!
Important: participants need to have their own laptop with SPSS installed. The course is taught in a regular seminar room, not a computer lab. It is recommended that you bring a power cord for your own device. If you are affiliated with the University of Oslo, the latest edition of SPSS can be downloaded from winprog.uio.no or macprog.uio.no. If you need help installing SPSS, contact local IT in your department.
Anne S. Bergsaker, PhD
Number of participants
If you have any questions about the course, send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Slides and data files