International PhD course: In cooperation with Concepta – International Research School in Conceptual History and Political Thought – KULTRANS invites doctoral fellows to a seminar on the role of language, and especially the role of concepts, in exploring the processes of globalization, University of Oslo, January 25-27 2010.
Key note speakers
- Willibald Steinmetz (Bielefeld): "Theoretical and Methodological Problem of Comparative Historical Semantics".
- Margrit Pernau (Berlin): "Globalisation, Entanglement, Translation – How Do We Study Moving Concepts?"
- Sinai Rusinek (Jerusalem): "Keine Kultur, Keine Nimus: On the Counterconcepts of Culture and Civilization".
- Dyala Hamzah (Berlin): "Is Conceptual History in/of The Modern Middle East Possible? The example of maslaha 'âmma (public interest) and some of the thornier issues of historiography"
- Christoph Harbsmeier (Oslo): "The Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary and the Globalisation of Conceptual History"
- Helge Jordheim (Oslo): "Conceptualizing the World – a Reflection on Contexts"
Participants needing accommodation in Oslo will stay at Cochs pensjonat (map and road description), arrival on Sunday 24.01.10, departure on Wednesday 27.01.10. All rooms are single with bathroom and TV. Breakfast is not included. Most rooms have tea boilers and you will find plenty of coffeehouses close to the hotel.
Please contact Beate Trandem to reserve your room within Sunday 20.12.09.
There is no conference fee. We pay the accommodation for participants travelling to Oslo with papers. All participants will get free lunch and coffee during the seminar and we also invite you for a conference dinner on Monday evening. We will not refund your travel expenses.
All sessions will take place in the Library of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Oslo, campus Blindern.
Library of Humanities and Social Sciences. Photo: Beate Trandem
Final programme (pdf) (updated 22.01.10). Please note that your presentation should not exceed 20 minutes.
Start: Monday 25.01.10 at 9.00.
End: Wednesday 27.01.10 at 12.00.
Download a pdf-file containing all the abstracts (last update: 11.01.10).
Monday 25 January at 19.00: Dinner at Lorry restaurant, Parkveien 12. Lorry is situated across the street from Cochs pensjonat.
Read the Call for papers
The registration will close on 15.12.2009.
Applicants who have been accepted to the seminar will be notified by email.
Contact the organizers
Send an email to Beate Trandem - beatet AT ilos.uio.no