- Music cognition and psychology
- Selective attention mechanisms
- Musician advantage in executive functions
- Multisensory integration
- Music and memory
In my doctoral research project, I am investigating the functioning of certain higher order cognitive processes in expert musicians. In particular, I study the dynamics of temporal selective attention and working memory in relation to musical expertise. I am also interested in investigating the neural correlates of music centred around the interaction between auditory, visual and motor information processing.
I hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from Izmir University of Economics in Turkey and a Master of Science degree in Psychology with a special focus on Social Psychology and Cognitive Neuropsychology from Lund University in Sweden. I wrote my master’s thesis on retrieval-induced forgetting effects as functions of age in prospective and retrospective memory.
Outside academia, I have a wide range of interests. I am very fond of fine-arts, and especially painting and music are my greatest passions. I am also a self-taught multi-instrumentalist. In addition to these, the atmosphere of music festivals and concerts charm me a lot. I believe that facial and bodily expressions of a passionate musician are worth seeing. My hobbies have definitely led me to become more interested in psychology of music and aesthetics.
- Akca, Merve; Laeng, Bruno & Godøy, Rolf Inge (2020). No Evidence for an Auditory Attentional Blink for Voices Regardless of Musical Expertise. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078. 10 . doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02935 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Akca, Merve (2018). Time course of selective attention for instrumental timbres and human voice, In Tom Ziemke; Mattias Arvola; Nils Dahlbäck & Erik Billing (ed.), PROCEEDINGS OF THE 14TH SWEDISH COGNITIVE SCIENCE SOCIETY CONFERENCE. The University of Skövde. ISBN 978-91-983667-3-0. Paper published at the proceedings. s 10 - 11
- Akca, Merve (2018). Retrieval-Induced Forgetting Effects in Retrospective and Prospective Memory in Normal Aging.
- Akca, Merve (2018). Time course of selective attention for instrumental timbres and human voice.