Ulf A. S. Holbrook
- Acoumatic, electroacoustic and algorithmic composition.
- Spatialization methods.
- Ambisonics, 3D audio and wavefield synthesis.
- Music technology.
Ulf A. S. Holbrook is a composer and sound artist with interests in the development of spatio-musical relationships between electroacoustic composition, improvisation and sound art. I develop tools for use in different multichannel systems, which aim at a non-sweet spot, idiosyncratic methodology for working with sound in space.
Self-authored software and processing algorithms are central to my artistic practice. Through this research project I'm exploring and developing tools and methodologies for working with algorithmic systems for the spatialisation of sound and music, as well as exploring the potential multimodal perception these methods can give the listener.
I have a background as a sculptor, carpenter, sound technician and exhibition technician.
- BA (Hons) Fine Art Sculpture, Glasgow School of Art, Scotland (2000-2004).
- MA (Hons) Music Technology, University of Limerick, Ireland (2013-2014).
Borka (Winds), Tiny Portraits series, Flaming Pines, 2017.
From Weederdooper to DuPlessi on “Sonic Mmabolela 2014”, Free Music Archive, 2016.
3 fantasies, mine, all mine! Records, 2008.
31 ballads for email users, Slow Vibration, 2008.
lightning sunbath, Time-Theory Netlabel, 2008.
mam! Records sampler (summer 2008), mine, all mine! records, 2008.
ON, various artists, Dimented Droid Netlabel, 2008.
end sinister, Subeclectic Records, 2008.
taxonomia, Time-Theory Netlabel, 2008.
æther, Time-Theory Netlabel, 2008.
Artifices, Noise-Joy, 2007.
Convergence, Slow Vibration, 2007.
With DUNLOPE HIGHFLEX:
TORI NO KAIGI (ichi), Trente Oiseaux, 2009.
Ep#1, Ep#2, Ep#3, 2013.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). A question of backgrounds: Sites of listening, In Monty Adkins & Simon Cummings (ed.), Music beyond airports: Appraising ambient music. University of Huddersfield Press. ISBN 978-1-86218-161-8. 3. s 51 - 66 Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). Sound Objects and Spatial Morphologies. Organised Sound. ISSN 1355-7718. 24(1), s 20- 29 . doi: 10.1017/S1355771819000037 Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2018). An Approach to Stochastic Spatialisation: A Case of Hot Pocket, In Luke Dahl; Doug Bowman & Tom Martin (ed.), Proceedings of the International Conference On New Interfaces For Musical Expression. Virginia Tech. 1. s 31 - 32 Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). City Dwellers II. Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). Forest Glade.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). Superimposed Landscape (Lista). Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). Tessellation Rift. Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2019). The Telephone. Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. & Kraugerud, Emil (2019). Distances and proximities in acousmatic spatiality. Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2018). A Question of Background.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2018). Droplets.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2018). Ice Feathers.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2018). Textures of Performances in Spatial Composition.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2018). The Map(ping) as a Morphological Experiment. Show summary
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2017). Methods and techniques for stochastic spatialisation - A case of Hot Pocket.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2017). Sørlandet - EAU-NKFi100.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2016). Juliusvariasjon.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2016). Materials.
- Tveit, Anders & Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2016). REUNION2012: A novel interface for sound producing actions through the game of chess – Adaption for Kyma.
- Holbrook, Ulf A. S. (2014). Invocation of the equivocation: Towards an understanding of noise..