All articles in Modern Criticism and Theory, ed. David Lodge and Nigel Wood, 3rd ed. (Harlow: Longman, 2008):
- Roman Jakobson, "Linguistics and poetics"
- Tzvetan Todorov, "The typology of detective fiction"
- Mikhail Bakhtin, "From the prehistory of novelistic discourse"
- E.D. Hirsch, Jr. "In defense of the author" (from Validity in Interpretation)
- Michel Foucault, "What is an author?"
- Edward Said, "Crisis [in orientalism]"
- Stanley Fish, "Interpreting the Variorum"
- Paul de Man, "The resistance to theory"
- Umberto Eco, "Casablanca: Cult movies and intertextual collage"
- Patrocinio P. Schweikart, "Reading ourselves: toward a feminist theory of reading"
- Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, "The beast in the closet"
- Fredric Jameson, "Postmodernism and consumer society"
- Stephen Greenblatt, "The circulation of social energy"
- Judith Butler, "Critically queer" (from Bodies That Matter)