- Arthur Miller, The Crucible
- James Baldwin, ”Sonny’s Blues”
- Joseph Heller, Catch-22
- Bernard Malamud, “The Magic Barrel”
- Flannery O’Connor, “Good Country People”
- John Updike, Rabbit, Run
- Edward Albee, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
- Allen Ginsberg, “Howl”
- Langston Hughes, “Trumpet Player”
- Gwendolyn Brooks, “The Lovers of the Poor”, “To the Diaspora”
- Sylvia Plath, “Lady Lazarus”
- Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A’Changin’", “With God on Our Side", "Masters of War" and "Like a Rolling Stone".
Most of the short stories and poems can be found in The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Shorter Edition. The remaining texts will be handed out in class.