- Andrew Holleran, Dancer from the Dance (1978; HarperCollins, 2001)
- David B. Feinberg, Eighty-Sixed (1989; Penguin, 1996)
- William Corlett, Now and Then (1995; Abacus, 1996)
- Michael Cunningham, The Hours (1998; Picador, 2012)
- Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty (2004; Picador, 2005)
- Andrew Holleran, Grief (Hyperion, 2006)
- David Leavitt, The Two Hotel Francforts (2013; Bloomsbury, 2014)
- Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life (2015; Anchor Books, 2016)
- Shlomith Rimmon-Kenan, Narrative Fiction: Contemporary Poetics (2nd ed.)
- MLA Handbook: Eighth Edition (2016)
** In consultation with the seminar teacher, students will choose one further novel, which will not be discussed in the seminar but may be the topic (or partial topic) of their term paper.
** As some of the novels are quite long, students are recommended to read as many of them as possible before the beginning of teaching. Recommendations for secondary reading will be given in connection with students’ individual term papers.