FRA1301 – French literature 1 (prose)
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
- Autumn 2016
- Spring 2016
- Autumn 2015
- Spring 2015
- Autumn 2014
- Spring 2014
- Autumn 2013
- Spring 2013
- Autumn 2012
- Spring 2012
- Autumn 2011
- Spring 2011
- Autumn 2010
The course presents French prose literature from the 17th century to present day, and gives an introduction to the history of literature, basic theory of literature and textual analysis. The course also puts the literature in context with culture and society of its time. The course will contribute to the students’ ability to understand French, and to express themselves in French both orally and in writing.
When you have completed this course, you will:
- have thorough knowledge of a selection of French works of prose from the period after the 16th century.
- have knowledge of the history of French prose literature from the 17th century to present day
- be able to conduct literary analyses, and use relevant academic terms
- be able to put the literature into a greater context
- be able to use French language secondary sources, and write about literature in French
- be able to participate in conversations in French
- be familiar with citation rules
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Forelesningsdelen er åpen for alle. Seminardelen forutsetter undervisningsopptak til emnet.
Recommended previous knowledge
Level I or level II (or the equivalent) from secondary school.
There is an online diagnostic test, where you can test your own skill level, to see if you have the necessary prerequisites to follow the course. You should get at least 50% correct answers to follow the course.
- 10 credits overlap with CAENFRA1301 – Årskurs i fransk (i Caen) for lærere og lærerstudenter. Fransk litteratur (discontinued)
- 5 credits overlap with CAENFRA1302 – Litteratur og historie med didaktikk (discontinued)
- 5 credits overlap with CAENFRA1502 – Litteratur, geografi og kulturkunnskap (discontinued)
Teaching consists of 2 hour lectures and 1 hour seminars for 14 weeks.
The course has two obligatory assignments: within specified dates, students must submit 2 obligatory assignments of 2 pages each (a page consists of 2300 characters not including spaces). The obligatory assignments have to be approved by the teacher in order for the student to sit the exam. Read more about guidelines for compulsory activities.
Access to teaching
A student who has completed compulsory instruction and coursework and has had these approved, is not entitled to repeat that instruction and coursework. A student who has been admitted to a course, but who has not completed compulsory instruction and coursework or had these approved, is entitled to repeat that instruction and coursework, depending on available capacity.
The final assessment is based on an oral exam in French.
The candidate will have a conversation with two examiners. The conversation will be about the texts from the syllabus and the relevant literary history relevant for these texts.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Karakteren publiseres på Studentweb senest tre uker etter eksamens-/innleveringsdato.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.