- Thomas F. Gossett, Race: The History of an Idea in America, 2nd ed. (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- Juan Williams, Julian Bond (introduction by), Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965 (African American History (Penguin, 1988) (Paperback) (320pp)
- Rachel F. Moran, Interracial Intimacy: The Regulation of Race and Romance (University of Chicago Press, 2001).
Articles (available online via America: History and Life):
- Douglas Hartmann, Joseph Gerteis, Paul R. Croll, “An Empirical Assessment of Whiteness Theory: Hidden from How Many?” Social Problems 56:3 (Aug 2009) 403-424.
- Eduardo Bonilla-Silva and David Dietrich, “The Sweet Enchantment of Color-Blind Racism in Obamerica” The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 634:1 (2011) 190-206.
- John Hope Franklin, “The Two Worlds of Race: A Historical View” in Race and History: Selected Essays, 1938-1988.
- Takaki, A Different Mirror (Ch 4, 8, 9)
- Peggy Pascoe, “ Miscegenation Law, Court Cases, and Ideologies of ‘Race’ in Twentieth-Century America,” in Sollars, Interracialism
- Intro and “The Problem: Discrimination” pp 5-19 in Paula S. Rothenberg, Race, Class, & Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study, 2nd ed.
- Barack Obama speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, (In Say it Plain also) http://www.pbs.org/newshour/vote2004/demconvention/speeches/obama.html
- Barack Obama: 'A More Perfect Union' (Full Speech) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo
Suggestions for group work (Find the primary sources online):
- Jena Six
- Moynihan Report
- Kerner Report
- Loving v. Virginia
- Interracial dating
- Hate Crime laws
- Repatriation movement
- American Indian Movement
Required Field Trip: Holocaust og livsynsmuseum visit (Bygdøy)
- Blood in the Face