Students must buy one book:
Dahlerup, Drude (2018) Has democracy failed women? Cambridge: Polity Press
Titles marked with * are from books you may borrow at ISS. Other articles will be available either in printed compendia handed out first day of class, or online (requires UiO log in).
• Author, year, ”title of article”, title of publication or book. volume, number, editors, publisher, publishing state: city, page numbers from-to.
- Anderssen, Norman & Hellesund, Tone (2009) “Heteronormative Consensus in the Norwegian Same-Sex Adoption Debate?” Journal of Homosexuality Vol 56 (1) Pages 102-120 (18 p.) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00918360802551597
- Bergman, Solveig 1999, ”Women in New Social Movements” in Bergquist, Christina et al. (eds.): Equal Democracies? Gender and Politics in the Nordic Countries, Oslo: Scandinavian University Press. ISBN: 82-00-12799-0. pp 98-120 (20p).
- *Borchorst, Anette 2008, “Women-friendly policy paradoxes? Childcare policies and gender equality visions in Scandinavia”. Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.), Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition?, Policy Press, Bristol, pp 27-43. (17p)
- Borchorst, Anette and Birte Siim 2008, ”Women friendly policies and state feminisms: Theorizing Scandinavian gender equality” in Feminist Theory 2008 9:207 (15p).
- Borchorst, Anette et al. (2012) “Institutionalizing Intersectionality in the Nordic Countries: Anti-Discrimination and Equality in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden” chapter in Institutionalizing Intersectionality The Changing Nature of European Equality Regimes Editors: Krizsan, A., Skjeie, H., Squires, J. (Eds.) p. 59 – 88 (29 p.)
- Bredal, Anja (2014) “Ordinary v. Other Violence? Conseptualising Honour Based Violence in Scandinavian Public Policies” in Gill A.K., Strange C., Roberts K. (eds) ‘Honour’ Killing and Violence. Theory, Policy and Practice. Palgrave Macmillan. (20 p.)
- Bungum, Brita, Kvande, Elin 2013, The rise and fall of ‘cash for care’ in Norway: changes in the use of child-care policies. Nordic Journal of Social Research. vol. 4. p. 31-54 (23 p) https://journals.hioa.no/index.php/njsr/article/view/2065
- Dahlerup, Drude (2018) “Exclusion without words” (chapter 1, 1-27) “Breaking Male Dominance in Politics” (chapter 2, 28-58) and the first pages of “The Impact of Gender Quotas” (chapter 3, 59-68) from: Has democracy failed women? Cambridge: Polity Press (1-68, 68 p)
- Ekenstam, Claes 2005, “Manly or unmanly? Fear of falling”. NIKK magasin 3-2005, pp 27-31 (5p)
- Ellingsæter, Anne Lise 1999, “Women’s right to work: The interplay of state, market and women’s agency”. NORA 2-3 (7), pp 109-123. (15p) ¨
- Enander, Viveka & Holmberg, Carin (2008) “Why Does She Leave? The Leaving Process(es) of Battered Women” Health Care for Women International, 29 (3), 200-226, (26p) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07399330801913802
- Ericsson, Kjersti 1998, “Sexual harassment and the genderization of work”. Fehr, Drude von der et al. (eds.): Is there a Nordic Feminism? Nordic feminist thought on culture and society. UCL Press, London, pp 176-196. (21p)
- Eriksen, Ingunn Marie; Lyng, Selma Therese (2016) Relational aggression among boys: blind spots and hidden dramas. Gender and Education. Vol 30 (3). (14 p.) http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/Z4paxhkUP3QtKZhaZrX5/full#.V6I-CNCLRE4
- Farstad, Gunhild R. & Stefansen, Kari (2015) “Involved fatherhood in the Nordic context: dominant narratives, divergent approaches” NORMA Nordic Journal for Masculinity Studies, Volume 10 - Issue 1 p. 55-70 (15 p.) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/18902138.2015.1013348?journalCode=rnor20
- *Fiig, Christina 2008, “A Scandinavian feminist public sphere: discourses on feminism and Gender equality” in Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.): Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition? Bristol: Policy Press. pp 199-214. (16p)
- Gill, Aisha K. (2014) “Introduction: ‘Honour’ and ‘Honour’-Based Violence: Challenging Common Assumptions” from Gill A.K., Strange C., Roberts K. (eds) ‘Honour’ Killing and Violence. Theory, Policy and Practice. Palgrave Macmillan (chapter 1, 1-23, 23p).
- Gislason, Ingolfur V 2011, “Introduction” in Gislason, Ingolfur V. and Gudny Björk Eydal (eds.) Parental leave, childcare and gender equality in the Nordic countries. TemaNord 2011:562 pp 13-30 (18 p)
- Guðjónsdóttir, Guðbjört (2014) “We blend in with the crowd but they don’t” (In)visibility and Icelandic migrants in Norway” Nordic Journal of Migration Research 4(4) p. 176 – 183 (7 p.) https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/njmr.2014.4.issue-4/njmr-2014-0026/njmr-2014-0026.xml
- Gullestad, Marianne (2007) Chapter/excerpt from “Invisible fences: reinventing sameness and difference” from Plausible Prejudice, Oslo: Universitetsforlaget (chapter VI 168-192, 24 p)
- Haavind, Hanne 1984, “Love and Power in Marriage”. Holter, Harriet (ed.) Patriarchy in a Welfare Society. Universitetsforlaget, Oslo, pp 46-66. (22p)
- Hearn, Jeff, Marie Nordberg, Kjerstin Andersson, Dag Balkmar, Lucs Gottzén, Roger Klinth, Keith Pringle and Linn Sandberg 2012, ”Hegemonic Masculinity and Beyond: 40 Years of Research in Sweden” in Men and Masculinities 2012 15: 31 (19p).
- Hernes, Helga (1987) “Welfare state citizenship of Scandinavian women” chapter from Welfare State and Woman Power: Essays in State Feminism. Norwegian University Press (30 p)
- Holmström, Charlotta & Skilbrei, May-Len (2017). The Swedish Sex Purchase Act: Where does it Stand? Oslo Law Review. ISSN 2387-3299. 1(2), p 82- 104. (22p.) https://www.idunn.no/oslo_law_review/2017/02/the_swedish_sex_purchase_act_where_does_it_stand
- Kangas, Olli, Palme, Joakim og Markus Kainu (2016) «The Nordic Welfare State Model» chapter in Det Norske Samfunn Bind 3. Gyldendal: Oslo p. 38 – 57 (19 p)
- Kantola, Johanna and Judith Squires 2012, “From stat feminism to market feminism?” International Political Science Review 33(4), pp 382-400
- Knobblock, I. and R. Kuokkanen (2015). "Decolonizing Feminism in the North: A Conversation with Rauna Kuokkanen." NORA - Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research, 23(4): 275-281. (6 p.) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08038740.2015.1090480?journalCode=swom20
- Korsvik, Trine Rogg 2011, "Childcare policy since the 1970s in the “most gender equal country in the world”: a field of controversy and grass root activism”. European Journal of Women’s Studies 2011-18, pp135-53 (19p)
- Kvande, Elin 2002, “Doing Masculinities in Organizational Restructuring”. NORA 1 (10), pp 16-25. (10p) http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a713800840
- Lahelma, Elina 2005, “School Grades And Other Resources: “The Failing Boys” Discourse Revisited”. NORA 2 (13), pp 78-89. (12p)
- Langvasbråten, Trude 2008, “A Scandinavian Model? Gender Equality Discourses on Multiculturalism”, Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State & Society 2008 (15): pp. 32-52 (21p) http://sp.oxfordjournals.org/content/vol15/issue1/index.dtl#ARTICLES.
- Leira, Arnlaug (2002) “Work, family and the welfare state: problems of reconciliation” chapter in Working parents and the welfare state: family change and policy reform in Scandinavia (29)
- Lister, Ruth 2009, ”A Nordic Nirvana? Gender, Citizenship, and Social Justice in the Nordic Welfare States” in Social Politics 16 (2) 2009. Pp 242-278 (36p).
- Longva, Anh Nga 2003, “The Trouble with Difference: Gender, Ethnicity and Norwegian Social Democracy”. Grete, Brochmann Longva, (ed.): The multicultural Challenge Comparative Social Research 22. Elsevier Ltd., pp 153-175. (23p)
- Lotherington, Ann Therese 2005, “Innovative Women and Gender-Power in Norwegian Regional Development Policy”, NORA 2 (13), pp 101-114. (14p)
- * Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg 2008, “A Nordic model of gender equality? Introduction”. Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.), Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition? Policy Press, Bristol, pp 1-26. (26p)
- * Mulinari, Diana (2009) “Women-friendly? Understanding gendered racism in Sweden” from Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.): Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. Policy Press, Bristol. 167 -181 (14 pages)
- Nadim, Marjan (2016) “Undermining the Male Breadwinner Ideal? Understandings of Women’s Paid Work among Second-Generation Immigrants in Norway”. Sociology Vol.50 (1) 109-124, Sage. (15 p.) http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0038038514560259
- Nielsen, Harriet Bjerrum 2004, “European Gender Lessons: Girls and boys at scout camps in Denmark, Portugal, Russia and Slovakia”. Childhood 11 (2), 207-226. (20p)
- Nielsen, Harriet Bjerrum and Monica Rudberg 2000, “Gender, Love and Education in Three Generations. The Way Out and Up”. The European Journal of Women’s Studies 7 (4). pp 423-453. (31p)
- Nielsen, Harriet Bjerrum (2017) “Feelings and the Social Transformation of Gender” introduction chapter from Feeling Gender. A Generational and Psychosocial Approach. London Palgrave Macmillian p 1-22 (22p)
- Predelli, Line Nyhagen & Beatrice Halsaa (2012) “Political Opportunities and Violence against Women” from Majority-Minority Relations in Contemporary Women’s Movements. Strategic Sisterhood. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillian (chapter 4, 86-104, 18p)
- Railo, Erkka 2014, ”Women’s Magazines, the Female Body, and Political Participation” in NORA-Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research 2014 1. pp 48-62 (13 p).
- Rydström, Jens 2011, “Summary and conclusions” in Rydström, Jens: Odd Couples. A History of Gay Marriage in Scandinavia. Amsterdam: Aksant (11p)
- Rönnblom, Malin (2009) “Letting Women in? Gender Mainstreaming in Regional Policies” NORA - Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research Volume 13 (3) p. 164- 174 (10 p.) http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08038740600587711
- Sainsbury, Diane 2001 “Gender and the Making of Welfare States: Norway and Sweden. Social Politics Spring 2001. (27p).
- * Siim, Birte 2008, “Dilemmas of citizenship: tensions between gender equality and cultural diversity in the Danish welfare state”. Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.), Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition? Policy Press, Bristol, pp 149-166. (18p)
- Siim, Birte & Skjeie, Hege (2008) “Tracks, intersections and dead ends. Multicultural challenges to state feminism in Denmark and Norway” Ethnicities Vol 8(3), p. 322-344 (22 p.) http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1468796808092446
- Skjeie, Hege & Mari Teigen 2005, “Political Construction of Gender Equality: Travelling Towards …. A Gender Balanced Society?”, NORA 2 (13), pp 187-197. (11p)
- Skjeie, Hege & Teigen, Mari (2017) “The Nordic Gender Equality Model: Comparing Scores” short version of a chapter in The Nordic Model of political science – challenged, but still viable. Knutsen, Oddbjørn (ed.) (18 pages) http://www.samfunnsforskning.no/core/bilder/artikler/the-nordic-gender-equality-model.-comparing-scores-%28short-version%29.pdf
- Smeby, Kristine Warhuus (2017) “When work meets childcare – The competing logics of mothering and gender equality.” in Brandt, Halrynjo & Kvande (2017) (eds.) Work-Family Dynamics: Competing Logics of Regulation, Economy and Morals. Routledge
- Teigen, Mari 2011, “Quotas in Corporate Boards” in Kirsti Niskanen (ed.): Gender and Power in the Nordic Countries, 2011. NIKK publication 2011:1. p. 87-110. (24 p)
- * Wetterberg, Christina Carlsson and Kari Melby 2008, “The claim of economic citizenship: the concept of equality in a historical context”. Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.), Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition? Bristol: Policy Press, pp 43-62. (20p)
- Widerberg, Karin 2000, “Harriet Holter: A Pioneer in Gender Studies and Sociology”, Acta Sociologica 43 (4), pp 413-420. (8p)
- Aarseth, Helene 2007, “Between Labour and Love: The Re-erotization of Home-making in Egalitarian Couples within a Nordic Context”. NORA Vol. 15, No 2-3 pp 133-143. (21p)
- Ås, Berit – the master suppression techniques: http://kjonnsforskning.no/nb/five-master-supression-techniques
- Fehr, Drude von der et al. (eds.) 1998, Is there a Nordic Feminism? Nordic feminist thought on culture and society. London: UCL Press.
Available for loan at the ISS office.
- Melby, Kari, Anna-Birte Ravn and Christina Carlsson Wetterberg (eds.) 2008, Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition? Bristol: Policy Press
Available for loan at the ISS Office.