|Course code and name||MARL5110 Maritime law: Safety, Competition and EU|
|Syllabus/achievement requirements||Autumn 2018|
|Formal prerequisite knowledge||
Masters Level course. Admission requires a completed bachelor's degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor's degree and a minimum grade average of C (in the Norwegian grading scale) or equivalent from the specialization in the candidates degree. A specialization either in Law or 80 in Maritime Studies.
- The grading scale is Fail/Pass for thise course, this is a independent assessment without relation to the grading scale A-F.
- The assignment must be an overall good perfomance in most areas to recive a passing grade.
- A assignment with significant shortcomings in refrence to these criterias will revice a failing grade.
In general terms, the following criteria are used when assessing essay style assignments:
Scope and quality of research
- Evidence of sufficient independent research to adequately address relevant issues for the assigned topic.
- Use of appropriate sources for topic.
- Awareness of any relevant issues arising from class Readings.
Construction of arguments
- Logical flow of proposition(s) and evidence.
- Integration of concepts and evidence.
- Consideration of contrary positions.
- Understanding of relevant concepts, through proper analysis of primary and secondary material.
- essay engages with the material.
- essay demonstrates independent thought.
- Conclusions are drawn, which follow from the analysis.
- Clear introduction, body and conclusion.
- Clarity of scope/delineation of scope of essay.
- Use of own words and terminology as appropriate.
- Grammar, sentence construction, paragraph structure etc.
- Appropriate tone/voice – minimal verbosity.
The default style requirements for essay style assessments in the Law School are included in the specific forms:
- Assignments are typed and submitted electronically.
- Assignments should be properly and adequately referenced.
- Assignments should include both footnotes and bibliography. Failure to appropriately reference sources may amount to plagiarism and will be sanctioned.
- Word limit for assignments is calculated by reference to all text in the assignment. This usually excludes the table of contents and the bibliography. The student must usually record the actual word count on the assignment cover sheet.