IN1000 - Introduction to Object-oriented Programming
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course is an introduction to and gives a good base for further studies within computational science, but it's also suited for those who just wish to understand what programming is. The course doesn't presuppose any knowledge of programming. It'll be given a beginners introduction to Python and how to develop algorithms, included the use of lists, files and communication with user.
Particular emphasis is placed on object-oriented programming.
After taking IN1000, you'll:
- understand the principles of object-oriented programming and can use these to write simpler object-oriented programs
- know how to program in the Python programming language and can use this to solve minor problems using choices, loops, functions, lists, classes and objects
- know how to write clear and readable programs
- be able to put yourself in someone else's programs, find any errors in them and modify them
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
- 8 credits overlap with INF1000 - Introduction to object-oriented programming (continued)
- 9 credits overlap with INF1001 - Grunnkurs i objektorientert programmering (discontinued)
- 6 credits overlap with BIOS1100 - Innføring i beregningsmodeller for biovitenskap
- 4 credits overlap with GEO1040 - Introduction to programming with applications in geosciences (discontinued)
- 4 credits overlap with GEO-KJM1040 - Introduction to programming with applications in geosciences and in chemistry (discontinued)
- 7 credits overlap with INF1100 - Introduction to programming with scientific applications (continued)
- 7 credits overlap with IN1900 - Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications
- 6 credits overlap with IN-KJM1900 - Introduksjon i programmering for kjemikere
- 4 credits overlap with MAT-IN1105 - Programming, Modelling and Computations
- 4 credits overlap with MAT-INF1100L - Programming, Modelling and Computations (continued)
- 6 credits overlap with HUMIT1700 - Grunnkurs i programmering for humanister (discontinued)
8 credits towards each of INF101, IN105 and IN101.
The list of overlap against previous courses is not exhaustive.
2 hours of lectures, 2 hours of seminar groups and 2 hours of lab-groups. Submission of compulsory assignments is required. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments. Compulsory attendance at first lecture.
4 hours written digital exam. All mandatory assignments must be approved before you can take the exam.
Examination support material
All written and printed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF1000 - Introduction to object-oriented programming (continued), INF1001 - Grunnkurs i objektorientert programmering (discontinued), INF1100 - Introduction to programming with scientific applications (continued), IN1900 - Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications og IN-KJM1900 - Introduksjon i programmering for kjemikere. The list is not exhaustive.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.