INF5100 syllabus Fall 2008
This list is under construction; it will change (expand) during the term. Last changed: August 19, 2008
Note: The core of the curriculum is the slides used in the lectures.
The main bulk of the curriculum is covered by the following two textbooks:
Fundamentals of Database Systems, 5th Edition, Addison-Wesley, 2007 (alternatively, 4th Edition, 2003).
Database systems. The complete book, Prentice Hall, 2002, ISBN 0-13-031995-3, 0-13-098043-9.
Curriculum for the different subjects covered by the course:
5th ed.: Chapter 30.
(Elmasri/Navathe, 4th ed.: Chapter 29.)
- Garcia-Molina/Ullman/Widom: Chapter 1
- Jim Gray: The Next Database Revolution. Proc. 2004 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data. (Available through the ACM Digital Library, see e.g. http://x-port.uio.no.)
- Elmasri/Navathe: Chapter 25, section 1-6.
- Samuel R. Madden, Michael J. Franklin, Joseph M. Hellerstein, Wei Hong: TinyDB: an acquisitional query processing system for sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS), Volume 30, Issue 1, 2005. (Available through the ACM Digital Library, see e.g. http://x-port.uio.no.) The most important sections for this course are: 1-4.1, 5-5.2, 6-6.2,
- Garcia-Molina/Ullman/Widom: Chapter 20, section 1-3.
- Brian Babcock, Shivnath Babu, Mayur Datar, Rajeev Motwani, Jennifer Widom: "Models and issues in data stream systems" i PODS '02: Proceedings of the twenty-first ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART symposium on Principles of database systems, 2002. ISBN: 1-58113-507-6. (Available through the ACM Digital Library, http://x-port.uio.no.)
- Lukasz Golab, M. Tamer Ozsu: "Issues in data stream management" i SIGMOD Rec., Volume 32, No. 2, 2003. ISBN: 0163-5808. (Available through the ACM Digital Library, http://x-port.uio.no.)
5th ed.: Data warehousing: Chapter 29. Data mining: Chapter
28, with emphasis on sections 28.1 and 28.6.
(Elmasri/Navathe, 4th ed.: Data warehouses: Chapter 28. Data mining: Chapter 27, with emphasis on sections 27.1 and 27.6.)
- Garcia-Molina/Ullman/Widom: Chapter 20, section 6.
5th ed.: Chapter 26, section 1, Chapter 27.
(Elmasri/Navathe, 4th ed.: Chapter 26.
- Garcia-Molina/Ullman/Widom: Chapter 4.7.
and databases, Chapter 1 in XML for DB2 Information Integration,
Abstract for this article can be found here: http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246994.html?Open
- Tim Berners-Lee, James hendler and Ora Lassila: The Semantic Web, Scientific American, May 2001. link