MAT4240 – Elliptic curves
Exams after the reopening
As a general rule, exams will be conducted without physical attendance in the autumn of 2021, even after the reopening. See the semester page for information about the form of examination in your course. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
The course gives an introduction to elliptic curves, at central topic in number theory and in algebraic geometry with applications in data security/cryptography.
After completing the course:
- you know Weierstrasscurves and elliptic curves as cubic curves in the plane with coefficients in a finite or an infinite field;
- you can perform computations in the group of points on an elliptic curve;
- you know the relation between complex elliptic curves and rank two lattices in the complex plane;
- you know the endomorphism ring of elliptic curves and isogenies between these;
- you know the relation between the j-invariant and isomorphism classes of elliptic curves;
- you know the Hasse theorem for the number of points on elliptic curves over a finite field.
Admission to the course
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with MAT9240 – Elliptic Curves.
- 5 credits overlap with MAT4210 – Algebraic Geometry I.
3 hours of lectures/exercises per week throughout the semester.
The course may be taught in Norwegian if the lecturer and all students at the first lecture agree to it.
Upon the attendance of three or fewer students, the lecturer may, in conjunction with the Head of Teaching, change the course to self-study with supervision.
Final oral exam which counts 100 % towards the final grade.
This course has 1 mandatory assignment that must be approved before you can sit the final exam.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: MAT9240 – Elliptic Curves
Examination support material
Oral examination: No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
Courses taught in English will only offer the exam paper in English. You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: