HMS0507 – Fire Safety
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The course aims to give you basic knowledge and skills in how to prevent and limit a potential fire. By the end of the course you know the safest possible response in the event of fire/fire emergency and to feel safe in the workplace.
After completing the course you should have knowledge of:
- UiOs fire prevention and protection policy and objectives
- The major cause of fire hazards
- Technical fire preventive measures and equipment
- Organizational fire preventive measures and routines
- Proper response in the event of fire
- Practical training in use of fire extinguishers with various media
Admission to the course
The course is compulsory for:
- New students in all bachelor's programmes at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science
- New students in the following 5-year master's programmes:
- New students in following Master's programmes:
- Other students taking a course having HMS0507 as a prerequisite
The course is taught as a two hour block at the beginning of each semester. Participation is compulsory to pass the course.
If you have been assigned a group with a time that does not suit you, you can change to another group with an available place in StudentWeb.
From the spring semester 2021, transitional arrangements between old and new HSE courses will be discontinued, and old HSE courses will no longer exempt new HSE courses. If you have further questions, please contact MN student information.
You will not be exempt from the HSE courses if you have taken HSE courses previously at another institution. The courses offered by the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences are specific to the University of Oslo.
To pass this course you will need to have approved attendance. You are responsible for registering your attendance.
If HMS0507 is a degree requirement or a formal prerequisite for any of the courses in your degree, you will not get your degree approved until you have passed the course.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.