HFIN4240 – Budgeting
The course aims to give the students fundamental knowledge, both theoretically and practically on budgeting. In order for managers and leaders to control the activity, they need an insight in not only the costing, but also budgeting. The course will focus on how budgets are constructed as plans for usage of resources and activity for a given future period. The course will combine lectures with case studies and assignments related to the health economics sector.
You will know:
- The budget process with the overall planning and control
- Management control systems
- Standard cost and variance analysis
- Divisional financial performance
You will learn:
- The purpose of budgeting and different types of budgeting
- The different between types of controls, like feedback versus feed-forward controls, side-effects of results controls
- The importance of participation in the budget process
- How to evaluate performance
- To use different types of cost and variance analysis, like standard hour produced, labour, material, overhead and sales margin variances
- To calculate and plan operating variances
- Different types of performance, managerial versus economic performance,
- To designing financial performance measures
You will be able to:
- Understand the use of budgeting and different types and the use of measures for performance both in general and in a health care setting
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
- 5 credits overlap with HME4304 – Cost accounting and budgeting (discontinued)
- 5 credits overlap with HØKON1202 – Bedriftsøkonomi 2
Written exam (3 hours).
Language of examination
For students at Eu-HEM: English
For students at HEPAM: The problem set will be given in English. Answers can be given in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
For HEPMA students:
For Eu-HEM students:
An EU-hem student cannot present her or himself for the examination in a course more than two times. There will be held re-sits for EU-hem students who have failed an exam or who have legitimate absence (usually illness) in January and August. If you are entitled to a re-sit you must contact the student advisor via email no longer than one week after the result of the exam has been published.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.