HMAN5150 – Management in practice (HR-management)
Human resource (HR) management is important for recruiting, training and developing competent employees and leaders. The course gives an introduction to the field of HR-management within a health care context. You will gain understanding of the role of HR in health care organizations, and will learn how to think systematically and strategically about individual and organizational development.
Upon completion of this course, it is expected that the student should be able to:
- Describe current HR-management challenges in healthcare
- Explain theories and research about motivation, job satisfaction, and employee engagement
- Describe approaches to recruitment and retainment of personnel in health care
- Explain associations between employee development and organizations' performance
- Analyze HR-challenges in health care organizations from various theoretical perspectives
- Measure human resource performance within an organization
- Manage conflicts and negotiations
- Develop and present a plan for training and developing a pool of high potential candidates for current and future organizational needs
- Facilitate organizational growth and change through HR-management
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Recommended previous knowledge
You are recommended to have some prior knowledge about management in healthcare. HMAN4100 – Fundamentals of management can serve as a good introduction.
Lectures and group work.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
For HEPMA students:
For Eu-HEM students:
An EU-hem student cannot present her or himself for the examination in a course more than two times. There will be held re-sits for EU-hem students who have failed an exam or who have legitimate absence (usually illness) in January and August. If you are entitled to a re-sit you must contact the student advisor via email no longer than one week after the result of the exam has been published.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.