UV9348 – Teachers’ Professional Competence, Career Development and the Need for Beginning Teacher Induction
Teachers have to master support of students’ learning through the creation of powerful learning environments. The transition from teacher education to the teaching profession is often regarded by beginning teachers as demanding and critical. Various institutional and individual factors may influence teachers’ professional learning. One aim of this PhD course is to (1) provide opportunities for doctoral students to acquire a deeper understanding of teachers’ professional competence and its’ impact on student learning, and (2) provide opportunities for doctoral students to acquire a deeper understanding of the influence of mentoring and induction arrangement on teachers’ professional learning.
Organiser: TEPEC and MESA University of Oslo
Responsible: Professor Eyvind Elstad, Professor Rolf Vegar Olsen, Associate professor Christian Brandmo and Associate professor Dijana Tiplic, University of Oslo
Guest Lecturer: Jürgen Baumert, the Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin.
The candidate should be able to:
- Discuss the concept of teachers’ professional development, with the aim of contributing to a better understanding of the theoretical, methodological and empirical aspects.
- Discuss how large-scale student assessment studies measure the results of processes of knowledge acquisition
- Examine specific methodological and empirical aspects of studies of the teachers’ professional development studies or large-scale student assessment studies.
- Discuss the papers presented by the participants, and provide editorial and scientific feedback.
Candidates admitted to a PhD-program at UiO: Apply by Studentweb
Other applicants: apply through registration form
Deadline for registration:
Location: University of Oslo, room 231, HE
Dates: 19-20 June, 2014
Duration: 14 hours, two days
Work format: Lectures and seminars
- 1 credit points for course participation (80% attendance required)
- 3 credit points for course participation and submitted paper
Read more about examination.