Housing and housing guarantee
All students admitted to degree studies or exchange programmes at the University of Oslo can apply for student housing through SiO Housing.
The following groups of international students are guaranteed housing (single room):
- Exchange students (bachelor and master level) admitted for studies for one or two semesters.
- International students who applied for master's degree programmes by 1 December
- EU/EEA students (not including the Nordic countries) who apply for master's degree programmes by 1 March.
Students not included in the housing guarantee
- International students residing in Norway.
- Students who have been admitted to a programme through Samordna Opptak.
Type of housing
International students are guaranteed a furnished single room. All furnished rooms include a bed, closet, desk, chair, bookshelf, and table.
- You are only guaranteed housing the first time you arrive. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then get guaranteed housing again.
- A family or couple apartment is not included in the guarantee and can not be expected to be provided from the beginning of your stay, due to very limited availability. This means that you can expect to be on a waiting list for a very long time (longer than to one year).
- 1 June for students starting their studies in the autumn semester.
- 1 November for students starting their studies in the spring semester.
If you have missed the deadline, you are not guaranteed housing. We still recommend applying as soon as possible.
How to apply
Apply for housing online at www.sio.no/en/housing. You do not need to log in to register an application.
- If the room you want is not available when you apply, choose the room anyway. It may be available when you arrive.
- Remember to write all your first names (prénom) and family/surnames (nom de famille) exactly as in your Letter of admission in the "Personalia" section
- Under "Social security number" you must fill in your date of birth in the format of DDMMYY
Most international students live at Sogn or Kringsjå. These are the largest student villages, and are most likely to have available rooms.
In order to be guaranteed housing you must fill in the arrival date:
- 1 August (autumn semester) or
- 2 January (spring semester)
If you plan to arrive after the Orientation Week, please notify SiO housing of your arrival date.
After submitting the application
- You will receive an email from SiO when your application have been processed. In this email you will get a temporary personal identity number/SSN for the registration on MyPage. It can take a few days before you receive this email.
- If you require special needs provisions, i.e. due to physical disability or visual impairment, please contact SiO Housing.
Accept your offer
- Always accept your offer from SiO. If the rooms you have chosen are unavailable, SiO will assign you to a room in a student village where there are available rooms.
- If you'd prefer a different room or student village, you can apply for internal moving after you have moved in.
- If you decline the housing offer, you will no longer be given priority in the housing queue.
- Please note that it is only when picking up your keys you will know which spesific housing you will live in.
- From the starting day of your contract you have 14 days to pick up your key at the SiO Customer Service Centre, to avoid cancellation of the room.
- How to pick up your keys if you arrive outside opening hours
- Tenancy contracts are as a rule issued for entire semesters
- The autumn semester is from 1 August to 31 December
- The spring semester is from 1 January - 31 July
- Tenancy contracts will be sent to your MyPage together with instructions for paying the housing deposit.
Please note that if you move out before the set dates, you must give 2 months notice.
You are only guaranteed housing once. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then get guaranteed housing again.
All students who rent housing must pay a deposit. This deposit will be returned to you after you have moved out, providing there is no damage to the room or its furnishings, that it has been properly cleaned, and all rent has been paid.
All students must pay the deposit before arrival in Norway, with the exception of:
- NOMA students
- Some scholarship programme students
These students should pay the housing deposit after arrival and within the given deadline.