When to apply
Admission is once a year:
- The application portal opens 1 October.
- The application deadline is 1 December.
Studies start in August.
1. Do you have the required academic background for the programme you want to apply to?
- Only applicants who meet the admission requirements are qualified. If you are not qualified your application will be rejected.
- Please thoroughly research prospective programmes and their specific admission requirements.
- You can apply to up to two prioritized study programmes.
Admission to UiO is highly competitive. Approximately 5 % of international applicants are granted admission.
2. Can you document your financial ability?
You must document your ability to finance your stay in Norway, in order to be granted a student residence permit.
The required amount is currently 111 657 NOK.
3. Do you meet our English language requirements?
Applicants who are not native English speakers must document their proficiency in English by taking an internationally recognised English test.
Schedule your test early enough for the results to reach us within the application deadline.
Applicants from English-speaking Africa, or applicants with a degree taught in English from India, Pakistan or the Middle East are not exempt from submitting an English language test.
4. Do you have all required documentation?
Check our documentation requirements and make sure you have all the required documents ready.
You do not need to send any documents by post, however, for certain countries, we require that specific documents are sent directly from the issuing institution.
Are you completing your bachelor's degree in the semester after the deadline?
As UiO cannot grant conditional admission to non-EU applicants, you are unfortunately not qualified to apply at this time.
5. Registering your application
The application portal is now closed.
When you have checked that you are qualified (as mentioned in step 1-3), you can register your application through UiO's application portal in our application period:
1 October - 1 December
6. Getting your application results
You will receive the result of your application in April/May.
When the admission results are ready you will be notified through your registered e-mail address. You will then be able to see the result of your application in UiO's application portal.
If you are offered admission to a study programme, you will be given a short deadline to respond.