Seminar on academic freedom
Welcome to seminar on academic freedom. The human rights defender Istar Gözaydin who won the University of Oslo's Human Rights' award 2017 has finally been permitted to travel outside of Turkey, she will give her lecture "Academic Freedom?". The University of Oslo has been hosting researchers through the network Scholars at Risk (SAR) for ten years and will mark the anniversary with lectures and panel discussion.
Foto: Ola Sæther
- Welcome by prorector Gro Bjørnerud Mo
- Lecture "Academic Freedom?" by Istar Gözaydin, the winner of UiOs' Human Rigths' Award 2017
- 10 years of hosting Scholars at Risk at UiO
- Introduction "The Scholars at Risk Work at UiO: Local and Global Engagement" by professor Anne Hellum, Chair of the UiO Scholars at Risk Committee
- Introduction "Why academic freedom is important to governments?" by State Secretary Rebekka Borsch, Ministry of Education
- Panel discussion
"What role can Norway and Norwegian universities play in promoting academic freedom?"
Rebekka Borsch, State Secretary, Ministry of Education
Mubashar Hasan, Researcher, Dept. of Culture and Oriental Languages, UiO
Jens Jungblut, Associate Professor, Dept. of Political Science, UiO
Laura Liberatore, UiO-student and Chair SAIH Blindern
Istar Gözaydin, Professor of Law and Politics
Moderator: Karen-Lise Knudsen, Chair of SAR-Norway, University of Agder