Personal storage for researchers
Researchers at University of Oslo may be granted up to 1TB of additional storage space to accommodate any extra requirements they might have when performing their research activities.
Please note that you need to use a computer with wired Internet-connection. This will not work if your computer is on WiFi.
For the moment this service comes with two different options on how to utilize the storage, and researcher are asked to choose one and not a mix of the two:
- A personal storage space with limited opportunities for data sharing.
- Project storage space on Abel. This will require an user account on Abel.
Based on user feedback and after an evaluation period the services offered may be subject to change.
- Technical questions or feedback may be mailed to email@example.com
- More theoretical questions on DMP/Policy etc may be addressed firstname.lastname@example.org
The service is available to researchers registered in SAPUIO as scientific employees and/or PhD students only. Please complete and submit this form (in Norwegian) to apply for storage space. Access to the ordering form is limited to the aforementioned personel. In the case someone is erroneously denied access please contact email@example.com and we will do a manual check on your affiliation with the University of Oslo.
Getting started on Windows
For Windows users it is recommended to use a mapped network drive. This will be mounted automatically when users are logging on. The procedure is as follows:
- Open File Explorer and press Map Network Drive.
- In the dialogue box: Type the given storage space path (\\astra\astra-01\) ending with your username. Remember to check "Reconnect at sign-in" and press Finish. Now, File Explorer will display the new storage under "Network locations". A pop up of the station in file explorer should now appear, with your username.
Getting started on Linux
Linux users will find the storage space already available on the server login.uio.no in the directory:
Getting started on Mac OS X
Mac-users may follow this procedure to get the storage mounted:
- Open Finder and press CMD + K to get the Server-dialog. Type:
- Click OK.
Getting started outside the wired UiO network
If you're connected via a wireless network or a VPN to UiO, you may use Cyberduck (Mac) or WebDrive (Windows):
In both cases, connect via
login.uio.no and use the path
Getting started on Abel
Opting for storage space on Abel you will get a project area located in /projects/researchers/researchers-0N (where N is a number, N=1 so far). You will need a user account on Abel and the project area will not be exported to desktops or any other system outside the cluster. Getting the storage space up and going is a semi manual procedure and will normally require one working day. If you are not an Abel user already please have a look at "How to get access to Abel".
The storage space will be backed up daily, and backups are kept for 90 days.