Residence permit and registration with the police

  • Non-EU/EEA-citizens
    Students from outside the European Economic Area (EU- and Swiss Citizens) must apply for a residence permit (and a visa if applicable) immediately after they have received their Admission letter from the University of Oslo.
  • EU/EEA-citizens
    Students from the European Economic Area (EU- and Swiss citizens) do not apply for a residence permit, but they must register with the Police if staying in Norway for more than 3 months.
  • Residence permit renewal
    Applies to students who already reside in Norway.


The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is the central agency for immigration administration in Norway.