Admission to degree programmes for applicants with foreign education residing in Norway
There are different procedures for applicants with a permanent or renewable residence permit in Norway when you apply to Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes.
Master's degree programmes
If you wish to apply for Master's degree programmes, please consult the website of each programme
Bachelor's degree programmes
If you wish to apply for Bachelor's degree programmes, you need to submit your application through Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service, NUCAS (Samordna opptak). Au Pairs residing in Norway should take the Norwegian courses financed by their host family and apply through Samordna opptak.
The application deadline for applicants with a foreign secondary education is 1 March. Applicants with secondary school from one of the Nordic countries have the same application deadline as applicants with Norwegian secondary school, which is 15 April.
Applicants from non-EU countries who need a residence permit in order to study in Norway may apply for early admission (NUCAS - in Norwegian only). In order to apply for early admission, you must fulfil all the basic admission requirements by 1 March.
In order to be qualified for admission, applicants must fulfil the requirements for Higher Education Entrance Qualification (generell studiekompetanse).
Some categories of applicants must also document one or two years of higher education. Please consult NOKUT's GSU-list for more information. Applicants who do not fulfil the general requirements, must pass supplementary examinations from Norwegian upper secondary school.
Please note that some programmes have special admission requirements in addition to the general requirements (in Norwegian only).
All applicants must provide documentation of completed secondary school education and fulfil the language requirements in Norwegian and English:
All applicants must satisfy the Norwegian language requirements by documenting one of the following:
- Passed examination in Norwegian from Norwegian upper secondary school, "videregående skole", general studies:
- Norwegian (393 hours), minimum grade of 2 or
- Norwegian as a second language or alternative plan (393 hours), minimum grade of 2
- For general information, please see vilbli.no. For information about which examinations to sign up for, please contact your local "privatistkontor".
- Passed Level III examination in Norwegian for foreign students at universities. For information, please contact the International Summer School
- "Test i norsk - høyere nivå", Norwegian language written test, advanced level, (also known as "Bergenstesten"), with the result "Bestått" or "Godt bestått", or a score of 450 or better (formerly used scoring system). For information, please contact Folkeuniversitetet
- Examination from the 1-year university college course in Norwegian language and culture for foreign students.
All applicants must satisfy specified English language requirements.
Applicants from some countries will have an adequate command of English and satisfy this requirement with the English they have taken at secondary school in their home country, see NOKUT's GSU-list. Applicants who do not satisfy this requirement must pass one of the following examinations/tests:
- Passed examination in English (140 hours) in general studies from Norwegian upper secondary school, "videregående skole", with a minimum grade of 2 in both written and oral English. For general information, please see vilbli.no. For information about which examinations to sign up for, please contact your local "privatistkontor".
- TOEFL-test with a minimum score of 500 on paperbased test or 170 on computer test or 60 on Internet test. For information, please see Language and entrance exam services. TOEFL must be documented with original sent directly from ETS.
- IELTS-test (Academic) with a score of 5.0 or better. For information, please contact Folkeuniversitetet. IELTS must be verifiable online.
- University of Cambridge exams: First Certificate in English, Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English.