print logo

Admission to study programmes for applicants residing in Norway

The following procedures apply for applicants residing in Norway, with secondary education from non-Nordic countries. Please note that applicants who have a permanent or renewable residence permit (e.g. work or family reunification) and Au Pairs are considered residing applicants. 

The application procedures for Master's degree programmes and for Bachelor's degree programmes differ from each other:

1. Master's degree programmes (1 1/2 - 2 years)

If you wish to apply for Master's degree programmes, please consult the programme description of each programme for information about the application deadlines and requirements.

2. Bachelor's degree programmes

Please note that applicants who have a permanent or renewable residence permit (e.g. work or family reunification) and Au Pairs are considered residing applicants and must apply for Bachelor's studies through the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service (NUCAS).

Application deadline

The NUCAS application deadline for applicants with secondary education from non-Nordic countries is 1 March.

Applicants from non-EU countries who need a residence permit in order to study in Norway may apply for early admission (NUCAS - in Norwegian only). In order to apply for early admission, you must fulfil all the basic admission requirements by 1 March.

Application requirements

In order to be qualified for admission, applicants must fulfil the requirements for Higher Education Entrance Qualification (generell studiekompetanse).

Some categories of applicants must also document one or two years of higher education. Please consult NOKUT's GSU-list for more information. Applicants who do not fulfil the general requirements, must pass supplementary examinations from Norwegian upper secondary school.

Please note that some programmes have special admission requirements in addition to the general requirements (in Norwegian only).

All applicants must provide documentation of completed secondary school education and fulfil the language requirements in Norwegian and English:

Norwegian language requirements

All applicants to Bachelor's degree programmes must satisfy the Norwegian language requirements by documenting one of the following:

  • Norwegian (393 hours) from Norwegian upper secondary school, "videregående skole", general studies, minimum grade of 2. For information about which examinations to sign up for, please contact your local "privatistkontor".
  • Level III/trinn 3 examination in Norwegian for foreign students at universities with grade E or better. For information, please contact the International Summer School.
  • "Test i norsk - høyere nivå", Norwegian language written test, advanced level, (also known as "Bergenstesten"), with the result "Bestått" or "Godt bestått". For information, please contact Folkeuniversitetet.
  • One-year Programme in "Norwegian Language and Civilization for Foreign Students", taken at a university or a university college.

English language requirements

All applicants to Bachelor's degree programmes must satisfy the English language requirements by documenting one of the following:

  • English basic course (140 hours) from Norwegian upper secondary school, general studies, minimum grade of 2 in both written and oral English. For information about which examinations to sign up for, please contact your local "privatistkontor".
  • TOEFL with a minimum score of 500 on paperbased test or 60 on Internet test. TOEFL original must be sent directly from ETS and the test must not be older than 2 years. For further information, please see Language and entrance exam services.
  • IELTS (academic) with a score of 5.0 or better. IELTS must be verifiable online. For information, please contact Folkeuniversitetet.
  • University of Cambridge exams: First Certificate in English, Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English.


Applicants from some countries will have an adequate command of English and satisfy this requirement with the English they have taken at secondary school in their home country, see NOKUT's GSU-list.

Published Nov 4, 2010 09:34 PM - Last modified Jun 13, 2014 02:29 PM