The University of Oslo participates in all Nordic Research and Educational Programmes funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers and cooperates widely on research and education with higher education institutions and research institutes in all the Nordic countries.
UiO:Nordic is an interdisciplinary initiative involving most faculties, and is intended to provide new knowledge about the Nordic countries: their historic preconditions, challenges, paradoxes and opportunities for the future. This initiative comprises both research and education.
- The University of Oslo coordinates the Nordic Centres of Excellence (NCoE), for instance in Geosciences and Marine Ecosystems.
- We coordinate 12 Nordic Research Networks and participate in NCoEs and networks.
- UiO engages in Nordic cooperation on infrastructure through participation in Nordic Research Infrastructures and NORDUnet3 projects.
In the period 2013-15 there were 2730 co-publications between UiO and institutions in the other Nordic countries, within a range of subjects.
Collaboration in education
Nordplus is the Nordic Council of Ministers' most important programme in the area of lifelong learning. Nordplus consists of five sub-programmes which cover the entire educational sector. Each sub-programme embodies the Nordic Council of Ministers’ objectives of increased quality and cooperation within the fields of education in the Nordic-Baltic region. Through all Nordplus programmes you may apply for funding for projects or networks, while Nordplus Junior, Nordplus Adult and Nordplus Higher Education also give you the option of support and funding for mobility.
Nordplus higher education
Nordplus higher education provides funding for networks, projects and exchange of teachers and students in the higher education sector.
Activities that may be eligible for funding include:
- linking higher education institutions (HEIs) in the participating countries, private as well as public, offering recognized tertiary level qualifications, establishing networks for exchanging and disseminating experiences, best practices and innovative results
- contributing to cooperation between HEIs and other institutions or organisations involved in or having vested interests in the area of higher education
- contributing to cooperation between HEIs and the labour market
- facilitating high-quality individual academic or workplace-based exchanges for students and teachers in Nordplus countries
Nordlys is one of the largest networks within the Nordplus programme and comprises 37 member institutions. The main aim of this network is to facilitate student mobility within the network.
Sino-Nordic parallel master's degree
The Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages offers a new master’s programme in close cooperation with the Universities of Copenhagen, Aarhus, Stockholm and Zhejiang (ZJU) in Hangzhou, China. By completion of the programme you will have attained a so-called "parallel master's degree", one from the University of Oslo, the other from one of China's top universities. Read more
Did you know that...
- One of UiO's three interdisciplinary research initiatives covers the Nordic Model - UiO:Nordic?
- The NORDPLUS programme funds activities to strengthen and develop the Nordic and Baltic educational sector?
- UiO has three Nordic joint or double/multiple master degrees?
The Nordic countries are a geographical and cultural region in Northern Europe and the North Atlantic. They consist of:
- the Faroe Islands
- the Åland Islands
Get in touch
Research Support Office
Collaborate with our researchers
Would you like to cooperate with us and our researchers in various projects?