Get a tax card

"Tax Deduction" written on a white board

Why do you need a tax card?

In Norway, your employer deducts income tax directly from your salary. The deduction is based on a tax deduction card ( This is an electronic document that shows how much tax your employer must deduct before paying your salary.

Note: If work is started without a tax card, UiO is obliged to deduct 50% taxes from your salary. The balance will be reimbursed once your tax card has been issued.

How to get a tax card

For stays up to 90 days

If you are receiving a salary from the University during your stay you must apply for a tax card and, as a rule, undergo an ID control. Book an appointment for ID control and tax card (

Approximately two weeks after you have submitted the application, you will receive a letter from the tax office. The letter contains a Norwegian ID number, either a permanent or temporary (D number) one. Submit this number to your local personnel officer for registration in UiO's payroll and personnel system. This will enable UiO to access your tax card electronically.

For stays longer than 90 days

The process of obtaining a tax card depends on your nationality:


Did you find what you were looking for?
Published Aug. 21, 2019 9:28 AM - Last modified Sep. 20, 2019 1:32 PM