Norwegian version of this page

Guidelines for the use of taxi cards and company cards at UiO

These guidelines govern access to the use of taxi cards (for example, TaxiCard company cards) as a means of payment for transport (non-public). The guidelines also include the use of other types of company cards.

Implemented by the University Director on 15 September, 2019.

1 Current rules for coverage of expenses for business travel

  • UiO has its own guidelines for business travel and follows the State's domestic travel regulations ( (Norwegian). The journey must be made in the quickest and most affordable way for the state when taken into account all expenses and the efficiency and soundness of the journey.
  • As a rule, approval must be obtained to use non-public means of transport (taxis and other rented means of transport, etc.). If prior consent has not been obtained, the reason for using non-public means of transport must be explained. Expenses must be documented.
  • State employees should strive to travel as cheaply and environmentally friendly as possible. Access to use taxis is therefore limited and should only be used in special cases.

2 Taxi card

2.1 Who can use a taxi card?

2.1.1 University management, deans and faculty management

Taxi cards can be assigned as a personal card. As a general rule, only the university management, deans and faculty management (= the faculty director) can use and dispose of a personal taxi card.

If needed, the system of personal cards for the university management, deans and faculty management can be supplemented with a unit card. The unit card can be lent out per travel and returned to the local custodian for safekeeping after completion of the business trip.

2.1.2 Unit card at the faculty level

Taxi cards can be assigned as unit cards at the faculty level. In special cases, the unit card can be lent out per travel and returned to the local custodian for safekeeping after completion of the business trip. The faculty must establish procedures for retention and control of lending/submission of unit cards.

2.1.3 Other employees/units

Other employees or units may in special cases be granted a taxi card. Special cases may for example be transporting patients from the health sector in connection with health-related research. Other comprehensive travel activities are not covered by what must be understood as special cases.

Taxi card applications (word) must be sent to the university director. There must be a work-related need and must be justified in the application.

2.2 When can taxi cards be used?

Taxi cards should only be used exceptionally, and in special cases, if practical reasons and/or time considerations indicate that it is most appropriate to use taxi cards.

The taxi card user is responsible for following the travel and documentation rules. Each trip must be documented with the purpose and justification for why public means of transport have not been used.

2.3 Other

Taxi cards may not be used for the delivery of goods. Furthermore, taxi cards may not be used to book transport of staff and guests without the user of the taxi card being a passenger in the transportation vehicle.

2.4 Documentation of travel

Each journey must be documented and it must be explained why non-public means of transport, such as a taxi, is used. See section 1.1. See also UiO's guidelines for attestation and authorisation of travel expenses claims.

2.5 Loss of taxi card

Loss of taxi cards must be reported immediately to the issuer, manager and local administrator of the cards. The manager is responsible for blocking the taxi card upon loss of the card.

3 Credit card with corporate responsibility

4 Violation of guidelines

Violation of these guidelines may result in civil service law reactions.

5 Implementation

These guidelines take effect as of 15 September, 2019.

Published Nov. 14, 2019 2:36 PM - Last modified Feb. 12, 2020 12:46 PM