DNS stands for Domain Name System and is a way to provide IP addresses with "names" so you can see which name belongs to an IP address and vice versa, it works a bit like a telephone directory.
At UiO, we have three DNS servers which client machines use, these are:
- 188.8.131.52 (nissen.uio.no)
- 184.108.40.206 (huldra.uio.no)
- 220.127.116.11 (dvergen.uio.no)
These servers also have IPv6::
- 2001:700:100:2::3 (nissen.uio.no)
- 2001:700:100:2::27 (huldra.uio.no)
- 2001:700:100:425::40 (dvergen.uio.no)
Plese note that you must use the IP address of the DNS servers since you cannot look up names until you has a DNS server. We recommend using the DNS servers above.