All students admitted to degree studies or exchange programmes at the University of Oslo can apply for student housing through SiO Housing.
The information found on this website is specified for students who are guaranteed housing. Click on step 1 to see if you are covered by the housing guarantee.
Application deadline for students with housing guarantee:
- 1 June for students starting their studies in the autumn semester.
- 1 November for students starting their studies in the spring semester.
If you miss the deadline, you are not guaranteed housing. We still recommend applying as soon as possible.
You are only guaranteed housing once. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then have guaranteed housing again.
For students starting studies August 2019: Our housing agreement with SiO is currently under renegotiation, with effects taking place as of August 2019. International students will still be guaranteed housing, though the type of housing may be subject of change. We will post updated information on this page when the renegotiation is completed.
Step 1: Housing guarantee for international students
The following groups of international students are guaranteed a furnished single room:
- Exchange students (bachelor and master level) admitted for studies for one or two semesters.
- International students who applied for Master's degree programmes by 1 December
- EU/EEA students (not including the Nordic countries) who applied for Master's degree programmes by 1 March.
- Students financed through Quota, NORHED, NORPART (Master's- and PhD level)
Please note that you are only guaranteed housing the first time you arrive. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then get guaranteed housing again.
Students not included in the housing guarantee
- International students residing in Norway.
- Students who have been admitted to a programme through Samordna Opptak.
- Students attending NORA-courses.
Type of housing
International students are guaranteed a furnished single room. All furnished rooms include a bed, closet, desk, chair, bookshelf, and table.
Family or couple apartment is not included in the guarantee and can not be expected to be provided from the beginning of your stay, due to very limited availability. This means that you can expect to be on a waiting list for a very long time (longer than one year).
Step 2: Application process
Apply for housing online through SiOs website. You do not need to log in before you register an application.
- If the room you want is not available when you apply, choose the room anyway. It may be available when you arrive.
- Most international students live at Sogn, Ullevål or Kringsjå. These are the largest student villages, and are most likely to have available rooms.
- Remember to write all your first names (prénom) and family/surnames (nom de famille) exactly as in your Letter of admission in the "Personalia" section. If you apply for housing before you are issued an admission letter, please use the name that is written in your passport.
- Under "Social security number" you must fill in your date of birth in the format of DDMMYY
- In order to be guaranteed housing you must fill in the arrival date:
- 1 August (autumn semester) or
- 2 January (spring semester)
If you plan to arrive after the Orientation Week, please notify SiO housing of your arrival date.
After submitting the application
- 3-5 days after you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from SiO. In this email you will get a temporary personal identity number/SSN to register as a new user in SiOs MyPage.
- If you require special needs provisions, i.e. due to physical disability or visual impairment, please notify SiO Housing after the application is submitted.
Step 3: Accept your offer and sign the tenancy contract
You can expect to receive an answer to your housing application by the end of June.
- The offer of housing will include a general tenancy contract for a single furnished room in a student village (Kringsjå, Sogn, Ullevål etc.) It is not until you pick up the housing keys that you will choose the specific room and now the exact price of your monthly rent.
- Always accept your offer from SiO. If the rooms you have chosen are unavailable, SiO will assign you to a room in a student village where there are available rooms.
- If you'd prefer a different room or student village, you can apply for internal moving after you have moved in.
- If you decline the housing offer, you will no longer have guaranteed housing and will not be given priority in the housing queue.
- Tenancy contracts are as a rule issued for entire semesters
- The autumn semester is from 1 August to 31 December
- The spring semester is from 1 January - 31 July
- Tenancy contracts will be sent to your MyPage together with instructions for paying the housing deposit.
Step 4: Moving in
- From the starting day of your contract you have 14 days to pick up your key at the SiO Customer Service Centre, to avoid cancellation of the room.
- If you arrive in Oslo outside the opening hours of the SiO Costumer Service Center, you have several options to how you can collect your keys.
- for questions regarding
- for questions regarding
accessibility, picking up keys, moving in and late arrival