All students admitted to degree studies or exchange programmes at the University of Oslo can apply for student housing through SiO Housing.
The information found on this website is specified for students who are guaranteed housing.
Students who are guaranteed housing
The following groups are guaranteed housing. Please refer to the end of this page for information about groups not covered in the housing guarantee.
The type of housing you are guaranteed will depend on what sort of student you are. Click the links below for more information about the types of housing:
- Exchange students admitted for studies for one or two semesters can apply for furnished single rooms.
- International master's degree students can apply for furnished or unfurnished single rooms.
You are only guaranteed housing once. It is not possible to terminate your contract and then have guaranteed housing again.
Step 1: Application process and deadlines
Application deadline for students with housing guarantee:
- 1 June for students starting their studies in the autumn semester.
- 1 November for students starting their studies in the spring semester.
If you miss the deadline, you are not guaranteed housing. We still recommend applying as soon as possible.
Apply for housing online through SiOs website. You do not need to log in before you register an application.
- If the room you want is not available when you apply, choose the room anyway. It may be available when you arrive.
- Remember to write all your first names (prénom) and family/surnames (nom de famille) exactly as in your Letter of admission in the "Personalia" section. If you apply for housing before you are issued an admission letter, please use the name that is written in your passport.
- Under "Social security number" you must fill in your date of birth in the format of DDMMYY.
- In order to be guaranteed housing you must fill in the arrival date:
- 1 August (autumn semester) or
- 2 January (spring semester)
If you plan to arrive after the Orientation Week, please notify SiO housing of your arrival date.
After submitting the application
- 3-5 days after you have submitted your application, you will receive an email from SiO. In this email you will get a temporary personal identity number/SSN to register as a new user in SiOs MyPage.
- If you require special needs provisions, i.e. due to physical disability or visual impairment, please notify SiO Housing after the application is submitted, by using their online contact form.
Step 2: Accept your offer and sign the tenancy contract
You can expect to receive an answer to your housing application by the end of November.
- The offer of housing will include a general tenancy contract in a student village.
- Tenancy contracts are as a rule issued for entire semesters.
- Tenancy contracts will be sent to your SiO MyPage, together with instructions for paying the housing deposit.
- Always accept your offer from SiO. If the rooms you have chosen are unavailable, SiO will assign you to a room in a student village where there are available rooms.
- If you decline the housing offer, you will no longer have guaranteed housing and will not be given priority in the housing queue.
Step 3: Moving in
- It is not until you pick up the housing keys that you will choose the specific room and now the exact price of your monthly rent.
- From the starting day of your contract you have 14 days to pick up your key to avoid cancellation of the room. You pick up your key at at the SiO Customer Service Centre.
- If you arrive in Oslo outside the opening hours of the SiO Costumer Service Center, there are different options to how you can collect your keys. Please refer to SiOs website for more information.
- for questions regarding
- for questions regarding
accessibility, picking up keys, moving in and late arrival