What equipment and other minimum technical requirements are needed to take my digital oral exam or digital Master's thesis defense?
- It is recommended to use a laptop or stationary PC with Windows/MacOS operating system, either with a built-in webcamera or a webcamera connected with USB. A tablet or mobile phone can be used if necessary, but only as a backup in case there are problems with your laptop/PC.
- Update your computer a day or two before the exam to avoid an automatic update to your computer while you are taking your exam.
- We recommend you use a headset with a microphone, or Airpods or earbuds, in order to reduce background noise. You do not need an advanced or expensive headset, plain earbuds with a microphone are sufficient.
- It is also possible to use your computer's built-in speakers, but the audio quality will be somewhat reduced because of acoustics and noise from the computer and your surroundings.
- You need a built-in webcamera or a webcamera connected with USB.
- Sit as close as possible to your wireless router to ensure high quality broadband. Turn off other software or equipment at home that use broadband (downloads/streaming, etc.). See also these tips for improving your home network.
- Backup internet: If you lose your internet connection at home, you can use internet-sharing via your mobile phone as a backup solution.
Published May 27, 2020 1:24 PM - Last modified Mar. 4, 2021 4:22 PM