Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of 80 ECTS credits in informatics, including 30 ECTS credits from foundation level courses (1000-level courses), and 20 ECTS credits from advanced level courses (2000- and 3000-courses), of which must include:
- 30 ECTS credits in programming and at least 6 credits must be within algorithms.
- 10 ECTS credits in information security.
The following courses from the University of Oslo fulfill the of 30 credits requirements in:
- IN1000 – Introduction to Object-oriented Programming/INF1000 – Introduction to object-oriented programming (continued) or IN1900 – Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications/INF1100 – Introduction to programming with scientific applications (continued)
- IN1010 – Object-oriented Programming/INF1010 – Object oriented programming (continued) or IN1900 – Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications
- IN2010 – Algorithms and Data Structures/INF2220 – Algorithms and Data Structures (continued) or IN3130 – Algorithms: Design and Efficiency or similar courses from other educational institutions will meet the requirement for the specialization.
- IN2120 – Informasjonssikkerhet/INF3510 – Information security (continued) or IN3220 or similar courses from other educational institutions will meet the requirement for the specialization.
Applicants from the University of Oslo who have completed one of the following programmes qualify for admission to this programme option:Informatics: programming and network, Informatics: programming and systems architecture, or Informatics: digital economics and leadership.
Applicants who fulfilled the autumn, 2017 admission requirements to the master's programme Informatics: programming and networks, qualify for admission to this programme up until and including 2021. Applicants who previously qulialified for the programme option informations security qualify for admission to this programme until 2024.
Although not a formal requirement, please be aware that experience with Unix or Linux operating systems, as well as programming in C or C ++, is recommended.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies/courses outside the University of Oslo, you must upload course descriptions. The course names and codes on the course descriptions must match the transcript of records.
Ranking of applicants
Selection is based on your academic performance in the required subjects for this programme.