Get your admission requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of 80 ECTS credits where the following, or equivalent, courses are included:
- KJM1121- Inorganic chemistry I (only Norwegian Web Page available) / (KJM1120) Inorganic chemistry I, or KJM1130 - Physical chemistry I - thermodynamics and kinetics
- FYS1120 - Electromagnetism
- 30 ECTS credits at bachelor level including at least one course with a MENA3xxx code and maximum two courses with codes KJM2xxx, KJM3xxx, FYS2xxx or FYS3xxx.
- 20 ECTS credits in mathematics with codes MAT or MAT-IN.
- 10 ECTS credits from a course of your choice in a subject area within chemistry, physics, biotechnology, mathematics, informatics, materials science. The course code must be KJM, FYS, BIOS, MAT, MEK-, IN, or MENA.
If you fulfilled all admission requirements for the Master's Programme in Materials Science and Nanotechnology, according to the requirements autumn 2016, you will qualify for this programme option until the end of 2021.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies/courses outside the University of Oslo, you must upload course descriptions. The course names and codes on the course descriptions must match the transcript of records.
Ranking of applicants
Applicants are ranked according to their grade average in the required specialization. If an applicant has more than 80 ECTS credits in the required specialization, the 80 ECTS credits with the highest grades will form the grade average.