The course of study consists of a total of 120 ECTS credits:
- Introduction to Nordic music
- Compulsory courses, 20 credits
- Thesis Seminar in Musicology
- Research methodologies, Specialization or semester abroad/at other Nordic institution
- Elective courses or semester abroad, 30 credits
- Master´s thesis
- Master´s thesis, 60 credits
Recommended course of study
|4. semester||MUS4092 – Master's Thesis in Nordic Music|
|3. semester||Optional course / semester abroad||MUS4092 – Master's Thesis in Nordic Music|
|2. semester||Optional course||MUS4227 – Research Methodologies in Musicology||MUS4092 – Master's Thesis in Nordic Music|
|1. semester||MUS4226 - Thesis Seminar in Musicology|
|10 credits||10 credits||10 credits|
The first two semesters builds the methodological and theoretical basis for independent work on your master's thesis.
Introduction, first semester
- MUS4661 – Nordic Music History, Genres and Identities(10 credits) and MUS4311 – Music and Cultural Studies (Nordic Variant) (10 credits)
- MUS4226 – Thesis Seminar in Musicology, 10 credits
Specialization and Master thesis, second and third semester
MUS4227 – Research Methodologies in Musicology (10 credits) Elective course (10 credits) and Master thesis (10 credits).
Semester abroad/other Nordic countries/other institution, or elective course (10 credits) and Master thesis (20 credits).
Elective courses (20 credits)
You may choose one additional course from the list below:
It is possible to apply for recognition of 10 credits taken in other subjects when these can be seen as relevant for the candidate’s subject area for the dissertation. This form (pdf, in Norwegian) must be filled out and sent to the programme advisor if you wish to do so.
Thesis preparation, third semester
Elective course and Master Thesis
Thesis, fourth semester
Diploma and degree
The diploma is issued when you have completed the courses that meet the requirements for a degree. Read more about diplomas.