FIL4632 – Recent history of philosophy: The heritage of Frege and Russell with long essay
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The content of the course will vary from time to time, but it will be based on the heritage of Gottlob Frege (1848-1925), Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) and Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951). What characterizes this kind of philosophy is its focus on the language and its analaysis. It is also strongly connected to the natural and formal sciences. This heritage has been further developped into several branches; for example the logical positivism, the "late philosophy of Wittgenstein", the ordinary language philosophy and the late philosophy of language of for example Willard Van Orman Quine, Donald Davidson and Saul Kripke.
After having completed the course, the students are expected to:
- have a good knowledge of the core texts for the course
- have an in depth knowledge of the debate concerning the topic
- be able to discuss the topic in an independent and critical manner
- be able to describe in a consistent and clear manner what are the main aspects of the topic
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Only master degree students in philosophy can formally enroll, and take the course for credits. The 30-credits version of the course is available only for students who choose to write a MA-essay, FIL4091, instead of a Master's Thesis, FIL4090, and therefore need further 30 credits.
Recommended previous knowledge
FIL2701 – History of philosophy from the 17th until the 19th century and FIL2505 – Recent history of philosophy: Continental philosophy og FIL4532 – Recent history of philosophy: Continental philosophy
- 5 credits overlap with FIL1503
- 5 credits overlap with FIL2503 – Kontinentalfilosofi (discontinued)
- 10 credits overlap with FIL2506 – Recent history of philosophy: The heritage of Frege and Russell
- 10 credits overlap with FIL4630 – Recent history of philosophy: The heritage of Frege and Russell
- 20 credits overlap with FIL4631 – Recent history of philosophy: The heritage of Frege and Russell with short essay (discontinued)
28 hours of lectures and seminars together with FIL2506 – Recent history of philosophy: The heritage of Frege and Russell.
A semester essay of approximately 25-50 pages à 2.300 characters, excl. bibliography. The topic must be approved of by the responsible teacher.
The essay is to be handed in in Fronter within the deadline published on the semester pages.
In order for you to qualify for the final examination, all compulsory tuition activities must be approved by the teacher.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.