INF5761 – Health Management Information Systems
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course introduces health information systems to both health and informatics students.
The course is built on a long lasting research project with partners from Africa and Asia. It is intended for both informatics and health students; teaching use of information in health management and running a health information system in the national health services. It provides skills in using a tool for entering and analysing health data.
- The principles of an action-led, district based information system
- Calculation of target populations for a given catchment population
- Audits of existing information systems at district level
- Development of goals, targets and indicators for district level programmes
- Calculation of different types of indicators using local data
- Presentation of information in the form of tables and draw graphs
- Analyse indicators for trends over time and compare different facilities and districts
- Provision of feedback to data collectors and community structures
- Using the computer to enter data and getting basic feedback
- Current debates on topics of health management
Participants will learn about health information, be able to use it in health management and become skilled in using tools for analyzing it.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Students on the masters programme International Community Health and Health Economics, Policy and management are allowed to take the course.
If the number of enrolled students is higher than the course capasity, they will be ranked as follwed:
1) Students from the Department of informatics with INF5761 on their study plan agreement
2) Number of ECTS credits
Formal prerequisite knowledge
No obligatory prerequisites beyond the minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway.
- 10 credits overlap with INF9761 – Health management information systems (continued)
- 6 credits overlap with INF5760 – Health Information Systems (discontinued)
- 6 credits overlap with IN-HEALTH
- 2 credits overlap with INF5770
Lectures, video or live. Lab training. Supervision. One mandatory group presentation.
Written report. Possibly oral exam.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF5760 and IN-HEALTH.
It is strongly recommended to attend the first lecture since it will be given important information.