INF9530 – Foundations of Software Testing
The course covers basic concepts in software testing, such as:
- Fundamental concepts in testing
- Testing throughout the software life-cycle
- Static test techniques
- Test design
- Test management
- Tools support for testing
At the end of the course you will know how to
- apply modern software testing processes in relation to software development and project management,
- create test strategies and plans, design test cases, prioritize and execute them,
- manage incidents and risks within a project, and
- contribute to efficient delivery of software solutions and implement improvements in the software development processes.
evaluate the effect of various test techniques in various contexts
PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.
If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.
PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting student within a given deadline.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
No obligatory prerequisites beyond the minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway.
5 credits overlap with INF5530 – Foundations of Software Testing (discontinued)
- The teaching is a combination between presentation of theoretical concepts and exercises and discussions. It is dialogue-oriented and with a practical approach.
- 2 hours tuition per week for 7 weeks. Discussion of project tasks.
- Project assignment and written exam. Both parts count 50 % each. The project assignment is an independent, individual work to be delivered twice.
- Both assignment and written exam must be passed and passed in the same semester.
- The candidates from the phd-version of this course have additional curriculum compared to the candidates on the master version (INF5530).
Language of examination
The project assignment must be written in English
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This subject does not offer new examination in the beginning of the subsequent term for candidates who withdraw during an ordinary examination or fail an ordinary examination. For general information about new examination, see www.mn.uio.no/studier/admin/eksamen/utsatt-og-ny-eksamen/index.html and www.mn.uio.no/english/studies/admin/examination/retaking-examinations/
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
It is strongly recommended to attend the first lecture since it will be given important information.