This course is discontinued

INF9780 – Open source, open collaboration and innovation

Schedule, syllabus and examination date

Choose semester

Course content

Free and open source software philosophy, practices, lisences, and business models; open publishing, open science, and creative commons; open hardware; commons-based peer production and peer-to-peer, open and disruptive innovation.

Learning outcome

The students shall attain a thorough theoretical as well as practical understanding of the various models of open and innovative collaboration on the Internet including the role of legal issues.

Admission

PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.

If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.

PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting student within a given deadline.

Prerequisites

Recommended previous knowledge

No obligatory prerequisites beyond the minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway. However, during the course, special projects may be designed for students with a more advanced background in certain areas.

Overlapping courses

10 credits against INF5907OSI - Open Source – development and innovation.

Teaching

Three hours lecturing and exercises each week. There are mandatory individual presentations based on the group project and the course content. All mandatory individual presentations must be approved prior to the exam.

Examination

A mandatory group project contributes 60% of the final grade and an individual oral exam the remaining 40%.

Note that the exam in INF9780 will be more extensive than the one in INF5780.

Examination support material

No examination support material is allowed.

Language of examination

You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English. If you would prefer to have the exam text in English, you may apply to the course administrators.

Grading scale

Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.

Other

Note that the first lecture is compulsory.

Facts about this course

Credits

10

Level

PhD

Teaching

Every autumn

Examination

Every autumn

Teaching language

English