INTHE4114 – Epidemiology in practice - Methodology, examples and tools
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course will focus on analyses and interpretation of epidemiological data using data labs in combination with lectures. You will analyze datasets provided by the coordinator as a part of the course. The aim of the course is to obtain enhanced understanding of basic concepts in the field of epidemiology and practical skills in data analyses.
You will learn the following by attending the course:
- elaborate on how data can be analyzed with the use of epidemiological/statistical methods
- elaborate on how research findings can be presented
- formulate specific research questions
- make an analyses plan
- analyze data
- present results in an appropriate format
- summarize results in an abstract and in a presentation
- use acquired skills to interpret and evaluate epidemiologic studies
- Evaluate epidemiological findings with respect to chosen aim, analyses, and presentation of results
Students enrolled at the M.Phil in International Community Health programme will get first priority to the course, as long as they register before 10 January. The deadline for register in Studentweb and apply for courses is February 1.
Students enrolled in other Master's degree programmes at the UIO can, on application to email@example.com, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme. We prioritize students at other programmes at the Institute and Faculty. You will get an answer latest 20 January.
External applicants, not already enrolled as a student at UIO, are welcome to apply. Please fill out the form at https://www.uio.no/english/studies/programmes/ichealth-master/admission/ to check if you meet the requirements and which documents to you need to provide. In short you need to provide:
- A completed Bachelor’s degree or a period of study comparable with a Norwegian Bachelor's degree from a recognised institution.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of C (in Norwegian scale) or equivalent from the specialization in your degree.
- A English language test of a certain level.
- The applicants must have a specialization either within health sciences or social sciences.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before 10 January with all the relevant documents (see the link above). Applicants who have not attached all the nessecary documents will not get admission.
Note: all documents must be official certified copies
Read more about admission for international applicants
You will get an answer latest 20 January.
Recommended previous knowledge
It is clearly recommend that you have some basic knowledge in statistics, like INTHE4017 or similar.
Lectures, data-lab and seminars. You have to participate in at least 80 % of the teaching to be allowed to take the exam. Attendance at lectures will be registered.
The detailed schedule will be uploaded in Canvas.
Group presentation at the end of the week.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.