KRIS4104 – New Testament Theology
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course provides an introduction to New Testament Theology within its historical and cultural context. The reading material is divided into two parts;
- The first part will familiarize the students with the New Testament writings. The students are expected to read the New Testament in its entirety and to study the theology of each text in light of its ancient historical and cultural context.
- The second part delves further into two key texts: The Gospel of John and The Epistle to the Romans.
In working with these texts an emphasis will be placed on exegetical methods. The students will develop a better understanding of various approaches to the theology of each book by applying these methods, and also by reading commentaries pertaining to the selected texts.
The students will gain a deeper understanding of the content and complexities involved in the study of New Testament theology. The course will be formed around two key questions/problems that have faced New Testament theologians for many years: (1) Is there a single unified New Testament “theology,” or is it better to speak of New Testament “theologies”? And (2) what is the relationship between the writings of the New Testament and the concepts of the “Old” Testament, Jews, and Judaism?
Throughout this course, the students will expand their knowledge on two main New Testament texts and various approaches to the theological viewpoints embedded in these texts. Furthermore, the students will gain experience in working systematically with biblical texts and commentaries, and they will also have the chance to reflect on important questions relating to hermeneutics and textual interpretation.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Each class will be divided into ca. 20 minutes of lecture content and ca. 1.5 hours of seminar discussion.
Attendance and participation: This course has a mandatory 80% attendance and participation policy. This means that students are allowed to miss only two classes free of formal excuse (doctor’s note; emergency, etc.). Each student is also required to be prepared to participate in seminar discussion of weekly readings, regardless of whether the student has chosen to write a short response for that week.
Eight short responses: Between Week 2 and Week 11 of the course, students will have ten opportunities to choose to write and orally discuss eight short responses (max. 1 page) to assigned weekly readings of NT texts and corresponding secondary literature.
Presentation and short essay on life and thought of a NT theologian: On the final day of the course (Week 12), each student will give a 15–20 minute presentation on the life, thought, and influence of a prominent NT theologian of their choice. The oral presentation will be accompanied by a short essay (1000 words) that addresses the life-context in which the scholar worked and the defining features of her or his approach to NT theology.
Major Essay: At the end of the term, each student will turn in a major essay (ca. 3000 words) that addresses a problem in the study of New Testament theology. It will outline an appropriate methodology, engage the relevant primary and secondary literature, and offer a possible solution to the problem from the student’s own perspective.
Each of these assignments will be added to the student’s portfolio, which is the basis of examination.
The portfolio consists of eight short responses (1 page each) weighted 25% altogether, presentation and short essay on a NT theologian weighted 25%, and the major essay weighted 50%.
The portfolio will be evaluated with a single grade.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.