MAE4230 – Research Seminar I: Researcher's Skills
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The purpose of the course is to train basic researcher’s skills and prepare you for conducting your master thesis research project.
The course covers the following key topics
- Systematic Literature review and Meta-Analysis
- Bibliometric tools and referencing
- Quotations, paraphrasing, plagiarism
- Logic & Argumentation theory
- Writing a thesis proposal
- understand the key components of a logically consistent and convincing argumentation
- use bibliometric tools to conduct systematic literature reviews and reference and cite relevant work appropriately
- evaluate and review existing reports systematically
- start up independent research in view of existing knowledge and relevant analytical frameworks and research methods
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Instruction is provided through many small workshop seminars across the year. Workshops are of varying length and format, often including practical exercises and assignments.
Obligatory course components:
- 80% attendance requirement for the workshops
- completion of 5 workshop assignments
The end examination takes the form of a 8-page paper in which you write out your thesis proposal. For a template and details, see the course semester page.
You need to have successfully completed the obligatory course components before being allowed to sit the exam. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you must submit a written request to apply for an additional assignment prior to sitting the exam. The application must document stated reasons for absence beyond your control.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
In accordance with the UiO quality assurance system, the course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.