MAE4231 – Research Seminar II: Researcher’s Skills and Professional Communication
This course is a continuation of Research Seminar I, training further researcher’s skills as well as professional communication with peers and educational stakeholders.
The course covers the following key topics
- Scientific Writing
- Research Ethics
- Communication to a general audience
- recognize key components of a solid scientific paper, and presentation and writing style
- understand the importance of the ethical component of research and research communication
- ask targeted questions to help translate substantive research questions into feasibly answerable statistical hypotheses
- communicate and discuss both research design as well as findings in an accurate, nuanced, but clear fashion to a given target audience and in light of limitations and context
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Instruction is provided through many small workshop seminars across the year. Workshops are of varying length and format, often including practical exercises and assignments. As part of the communication component, a student research symposium is planned that is open to the public.
Obligatory course components:
- 80% attendance requirement for the workshop seminars
- 3 seminar portfolio pieces
At the end of the course you will be evaluated based on the portfolio you compiled based on the obligatory course components.
You need to have successfully completed the obligatory course components before being allowed to sit the exam. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you must submit a written request to apply for an additional assignment prior to sitting the exam. The application must document stated reasons for absence beyond your control.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
You need to pass each of the three portfolio components to pass the course.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
In accordance with the UiO quality assurance system, the course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.