Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
An in-depth study of at least 80 ECTS credits within Arabic, Persian or Turkish at BA-level.
- 30 ECTS credits within Middle East area studies.
Applicants who do not have a specialisation within a Middle Eastern language may also apply on the following two conditions:
- They possess near-native fluency in spoken and written Arabic, Persian or Turkish, and can document this with transcripts from national secondary school.
- They have a specialisation corresponding to 80 ECTS credits in a relevant discipline, such as anthropology, history, political science, religion or language or literature studies pertaining to the region.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies outside the University of Oslo, you must document descriptions of the courses that are relevant for admission.
A course description contains:
- academic content
- prescribed books
- amount of teaching
- other relevant information
The course name and code on the course description must match the course name and code on the transcript, and not come from previous curricula. The description should be submitted in English or in Norwegian, but a translation does not have to be provided by an authorized translator.
Ranking of applicants
Selection is based on your academic performance in the required subjects for this programme.
- An in-depth study of at least 80 ECTS credits within either Arabic, Hebrew, Persian or Turkish language at the BA-level.
- If you have documented knowledge of Arabic, Hebrew, Persian or Turkish with transcripts from national secondary school, you will be ranked on the basis of your specialization, corresponding to at least 80 ECTS credits, in a relevant discipline in cultural or social science studies.