Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of 120 ECTS credits where the following, or equivalent, courses are included:
- 80 ECTS credits within Informatics/Mathematics/Statistics, including:
- MAT1100 – Calculus
- MAT1110 – Calculus and linear algebra
- MAT1120 – Linear algebra
- IN1000 – Introduction to Object-oriented Programming(INF1000 – Introduction to object-oriented programming (continued)) or IN1900 – Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications (INF1100 – Introduction to programming with scientific applications (continued))
- IN1010 – Object-oriented Programming or IN1910 – Programming with Scientific Applications
- 40 ECTS credits advanced undergraduate courses at 2000 and/or 3000 level at the undergraduate level in astrophysics, bioscience, chemistry, computer science and informatics, geoscience, mathematics, materials science, mechanics and physics.
A minimum grade average of C (Norwegian grading scale), or equivalent, is required for 80 ECTS credits in Informatics/Mathematics/Statistics.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies/courses outside the University of Oslo, you must upload course descriptions. The course names and codes on the course descriptions must match the transcript of records.
Ranking of applicants
Applicants are ranked according to their grade average of 80 ECTS credits in the required specialization. A list of the courses forming the grade average can be found under the heading "Academic background". If an applicant has more than 80 ECTS credits in the required specialization, the 80 ECTS credits with the highest grades will form the grade average.