Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Required academic background (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
You must fulfill at least one of the two required specializations:
1: A specialization equivalent to 80 ECTS in English.
Examples of such majors offered by The University of Oslo include:
- Nord-Amerika-studier (80NORAM)
- Nord-Amerika-studier (90NORAM)
- Nord-Amerika-studier (80OMR-NORAM)
- Engelsk (80ENG)
- Engelskspråklig litteratur (80ENGL)
- Engelsk litteratur 2 (80ENGL2)
- Engelskspråklig litteratur for estetikkprogrammet (80ENGL3)
- English, intermediate subject (mellomfag), with a grade of minimum 2,7 (90 ECTS)
2: A specialization equivalent to 80 ECTS in one of the following disciplines:
History, philosophy, history of ideas, sociology, human geography, anthropology, interdisciplinary gender studies, media science, political science, or comparative literature.
- In addition, you must have 40 ECTS in English (this includes NORAM courses), and at least 10 ECTS of the 40 ECTS in English must be in English Language.