The Master's programme Fluid Mechanics, programme option Biomechanics and Medical Mechanics is a two-year full time study consisting of 120 ECTS credits.
- 60 ECTS Master's thesis and 60 ECTS courses or
- 30 ECTS Master's thesis and 90 ECTS courses
Suggestion for general course of study
|Master's thesis||Master's thesis||Master's thesis|
|Master's thesis / Course||Master's thesis / Course||Master's thesis / Course|
|Course||Course||Master's thesis / Course|
|10 studiepoeng||10 studiepoeng||10 studiepoeng
The choice of master courses depends on which specialization and Master's thesis you aim at, and is done in consultation with your contact person or your supervisor. Se list of master courses.
This program has no compulsory courses.
Recommended courses for first and third semester
- MEK4300 – Viscous Flow and Turbulence
- MEK4350 – Stochastic and Nonlinear Ocean Waves
- MEK4450 – Offshore Technology
- MEK4470 – Computational Fluid Mechanics
- MEK4600 – Experimental Methods in Fluid Mechanics
- MAT4110 – Introduction to Numerical Analysis
- IN4110 – Problem Solving with High-Level Languages
- IN5270 – Numerical methods for partial differential equations
- FYS-STK4155 – Applied Data Analysis and Machine Learning
Recommended courses for second semester
- MEK4100 – Mathematical Methods in Mechanics
- MEK4250 – Finite Element Methods in Computational Mechanics
- MEK4320 – Hydrodynamic Wave Theory
- MEK4420 – Marine Hydrodynamics
- MEK4480 – Free surface flows
- MEK4700 – Current topics in bio-mechanics
- MEK4800 – Environmental fluid mechanics
- TEK5600 – Visualization of Scientific Data
Master's thesis and advisor
Usually you find an appropriate Master's thesis and adviser by talking to the employees in the research group in Mechanics at the Department of Mathematics.
Recognition of Master's courses from former education
If you are admitted to the Master's programme and you have completed Master's courses outside the University of Oslo, you may apply to have these courses recognised as part of your degree. Please contact the Department of Mathematics for more information.
Diploma and degree
This programme leads to the following degree: Master of Science in Fluid Mechanics
The diploma is issued when you have completed the courses that meet the requirements for a degree. Read more about diplomas.