HEM4112 – Research Methods and Statistics - course I
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The themes of this introductory course are
- introduction to philosophy of social science
- how to formulate research questions
- how to design social science research and the various types of research designs
- introduction to quantitative and qualitative research
The aim of the course is to provide you with an introduction to social science research methods.
Upon successful completion of the course you are expected to
- have knowledge on various kinds of research questions and research designs
- have basic knowledge on qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research, as well as relevant ethical and philosophical considerations
- be able to formulate research questions and develop a sufficiently coherent research design
- be able to assess the appropriateness of different kinds of research designs and methodology, for instance in terms of their appropriateness, transparency and quality.
- develop independent thinking for critically analyzing research reports.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
The course combines lectures and seminars, with active student input and group work, as well as home assignments.
The following must be completed and approved by the course teacher before the student may submit the course exam:
- 80 per cent attendance
- completion of course exercises and oral presentation
You are required to write a paper that is to be submitted in Inspera. The papers ought not to exceed more than 10 pages in length. The topic of the paper will be announced at the end of the course. The assessment of the assignment focuses on quality of argument and demonstrates understanding of the key concepts and topics.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.